Kurotsuchi Mayuri x Insomniac! Reader

Paperwork. Paperwork. Paperwork.

Paper. Work.

Damn. Paperwork.

So much paperwork.

The life of a captain.

Is paperwork.

Even with a lieutenant to help you. Paperwork.

And your damn lieutenant has ran off again.

Three days. It's been three days since you've slept- and that was only a couple hours! Of course it wasn't just paperwork. You were stressed to the point of nothing mattered. You are currently running on coffee and the tears of your enemies.

And. Paperwork.

The fact that you have insomnia is an understatement. You've always had it, it's just never been this prominent.

It's the nightmares, really. You've had them since a young age, and that didn't change whenever you died.

You take another swig of black coffee, a new thing you'd been shown while in the world of the living.

You could feel the weight of your eyelids. They were as heavy as stone, and you couldn't keep them up much longer. You fight and fight, but eventually lose.

Paperwork, you try to convince yourself. Your paperwork was just fine. You just needed an excuse to keep your eyes open.

Paperwork.

The world goes dark.

---

Run. Don't stop. They will catch you. I have to run. I didn't do anything wrong. I just have to run. I can't fight my friends---

"L/n," a voice croons. A familiar, persistent voice. It cuts through your nightmare. You gasp, bolting up out of your chair. A confused face meets yours as you pant. You try to control yourself, swallowing the complete panic that you are feeling. Your lip trembles.

"Sorry- Sorry, Kurotsuchi-taichou." You catch your breath. "You must have scared me." Your lame excuse cuts through the air.

He shrugs and waves it off. "I require your help with something, regarding an experiment."

"Me?" You ask, doubt hinting in your voice. He had never asked you to help out before. Plus, you weren't certain how helpful you could be.

"Yes, you. I've been told that you and your zanpakuto have a very strong bond, and I was wondering if I could ask some questions."

"Eh- sure. I guess, if it's just some questions." You rub your eyes.

"Unless you'd rather I come back in the morning?" He suggests, but you doubt he means it.

"Nah. Here or-"

"Here is fine, if you have any decent writing supplies." His golden eyes seem to bore through you. You nod, grabbing some paper and a pen from your desk. You take a sip of cold coffee.

"Alright, if we could sit on the floor so we are around the same level of ground, I'll begin asking questions, which you shall answer."

Seeing as you apparently have no choice in the matter, you sit next to Mayuri, leaning back against the wall.

He asks some dumb, boring questions. He seems happy about the results, though. You answer them to the best of your ability. You fight your eyelids, finding yourself dozing off at times.

He doesn't even notice, until he feels you lean into him. He freezes, in the middle of writing. His golden eyes turn to you, seeing you fast asleep. He huffs, rolling his eyes. He'd let you sleep for a bit, he needed to come up with more questions anyway.