xiii. the day of the phoenix

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"Deanna, love," said a soft voice. "Wake up." Deanna groaned and buried her face into her pillow.

"It's too early, Pops," she mumbled. "I want to sleep."

"Happy birthday, little phoenix," said Dumbledore, smiling amusedly, when Deanna sat up straight and smiled widely.

"Is it my birthday today?"

"Yes, love," chuckled Dumbledore. "You are now fifteen years old."

Deanna grinned and hugged him tight. "Thanks, Pops." She turned around just in time to see Fawkes spread his wings and burst into flames. She smiled softly and caught the infant phoenix, who jumped to her. "Thank you, Fawkes." After washing up, Deanna and Dumbledore went down to her office and she smiled widely when she saw all the ghosts there.

"Happy birthday, Daredevil!" said Peeves, sitting on her head.

"'Pee Birthday," grumbled the Bloody Baron, which made Deanna roll her eyes. Alexander may have been gruff and rough around the edges, but he was a softie underneath all those bloody robes.

"You're fifteen, Dee!" said Myrtle in a tone that was cheerful for Myrtle.

"Thank you," giggled Deanna. "I'm just glad you are all here with me."

"Ah, indeed, little badger," said Helena softly. "We're all happy you're here with us."

"And so, we prepared something for you," said the Fat Friar.

"What is it, dear Friar?" said Deanna, her blue eyes, twinkling.

Sir Nicholas cleared his throat. "One, two... one, two, three go..."

Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,

Teach us something please,

Whether we be old and bald,

Or young with scabby knees,

Our heads could do with filling,

With some interesting stuff,

For now they're bare and full of air,

Dead flies and bits of fluff,

So teach us things worth knowing,

Bring back what we've forgot,

Just do your best, we'll do the rest,

And learn until our brains all rot.