xxxvi. a tampered memory

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"Good evening, Pops." Deanna smiled at him as she entered the Headmaster's office.

"Hello, love. Come sit." Dumbledore greeted just as pleasantly. "I heard they've posted the Apparition lessons, have you signed up?"

"Yeah, Pops. I think I'll be needing that." Deanna frowned when she noticed his hand again. "You should really get that checked out, Pops. What if it worsens?"

"Ah, don't worry, love. I've already gotten it checked out." Dumbledore smiled reassuringly at her.

The door opened to reveal Harry who smiled at the two Dumbledores. "Hello, Dee, sir."

"Come sit, Harry." Dumbledore motioned to the seat beside Deanna. As they had all settled down, he continued. "I hear you two have met the Minister of Magic over the holidays?"

"Yes," said Harry. "He's not very happy with me."

"It'd be a miracle for that man to be happy with me," said Deanna with a roll of her eyes.

"No," sighed Dumbledore. "He is not very happy with me either. We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, but battle on."

Deanna and Harry grinned at that. Harry continued speaking. "He wanted me to tell the Wizarding community that the Ministry's doing a wonderful job."

Dumbledore smiled. "It was Fudge's idea originally, you know. During his last days in office, when he was trying desperately to cling to his post, he sought a meeting with you two, hoping that you would give him your support —"

"Is he thick?" Deanna scoffed angrily. "After what he has done the last year?"

"I told Cornelius there was no chance of it, but the idea did not die when he left office. Within hours of Scrimgeour's appointment we met and he demanded that I arrange a meeting with you —"

"So that's why you argued!" Harry blurted out. "It was in the Daily Prophet."

"The Prophet is bound to report the truth occasionally," said Dumbledore, "if only accidentally. Yes, that was why we argued. Well, it appears that Rufus found a way to corner you at last."

"He accused me of being 'Dumbledore's man through and through.' "

"How very rude of him."

"I told him I was."

Deanna stared at Harry, smiling softly at him, while Fawkes let out a low, soft, musical cry. Dumbledore opened his mouth then closed it again and it seemed that he was getting teary-eyed. Deanna reached over and patted his good hand.