lxix. choices and prices

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

A light suddenly filled the darkness that surrounded her. The phoenix who burnt rose up from the ashes that were resting in the middle of the white and open space. As her figure lay where the ashes used to be, the girl opened her eyes. She finally arrived at her final destination: the afterlife.

Deanna Dumbledore slowly sat up and looked around the place, a smile forming when she recognized it as the afterlife version of Hogwarts. The castle looked like the war didn't happen at all with everything intact and back to how it was. It was beautifully standing there, feeling like home once more. Deanna pushed open the gates to the castle and entered. As soon as she entered, she was met by a skeletal figure, wearing a robe and a hood that covered his face.

"Deanna Dumbledore." A deep voice came from the deity. "I believe you know who I am."

"Indeed, my lord." Deanna nodded and bowed her head as a sign of respect. "You are Death."

"You have fulfilled your prophecy by making the right decisions at the right time. You have become the salvation as you were destined to be. The Heir of Slytherin was supposed to be trapped in Limbo, but because of your startling decision to forgive him, he was given a chance by the deities, and he is now serving for his sins."

"That's good to hear." Deanna couldn't help but smile at that. Finally, Tom was getting the punishment he deserved, and she hoped he would find peace and meaning to his life through that.

"Moreover, those who have fallen will be sent back soon." Death said. He saw that Deanna looked confused and explained. "You saved the world, Deanna Dumbledore. Not only the living but also those who have fallen in the Battle of Hogwarts. Those who deserve it."

Deanna's eyes widened in realization. Jemina, Remus, Ria, Fred and everyone whose lives were taken in the war. "Y-You mean..."

"They will be given a second chance." Death confirmed for her, and for a moment, Deanna saw his golden eyes that were staring back at hers before his hood covered them again. "Fate may not have been kind to you, but to the world, it will be because of your sacrifice."

"Then, that makes it all the more worth it." Deanna felt happiness bubbling in her at the thought that Jemina and the others would be able to come back and live their lives. "May I see them before they go?"

"In here, Deanna Dumbledore, you have all the time in the world."

That made Deanna grin as she rushed into the castle. She arrived in front of the Great Hall and took a deep breath, hoping that she would not be met by the sight she last remembered. Then, she opened the doors, the grin on her face hurting her cheeks as it grew. There was everyone, looking at her with surprised faces and wide-eyed gazes.