xli. a boy's troubles

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"So, how's fifth year working out for you?" Deanna asked Jemina, the two of them sitting on the bench and catching up after what seemed to be a long time. Eleanor and Noah were currently doing some schoolwork in the library, and Jemina had some free time so she decided to spend it with Deanna.

"Horrible." Jemina let out a sigh. "They're like machines. They don't stop giving work."

Deanna laughed at that. "It gets worse as you grow older. You want to be an Astronomer?"

"Not really... But Professor Sinistra's proving to be a great teacher, and it's just amazing..." Jemina looked up at the sky and smiled as if imagining the stars in the blue sky. "Everything is connected. They say the people we love who have passed on are in each of those stars, twinkling and smiling down at us."

"Really?" Deanna closed her eyes, trying to imagine it. "That's one way to think of it." She smiled at the thought of her old friends shining brightly in the night sky. "I think you're right."

"Maybe, but it's just comforting to think of it like that." Jemina chuckled, turning to Deanna. "A war's coming, isn't it?"

Deanna opened her eyes, frowning slightly. "Yeah... You can't –"

"I know..." Jemina smiled sadly. "I'm a Muggleborn, and most likely, I won't be able to return next year... But I still want to help. Even in the smallest ways."

"Hey, don't worry about that. What matters most is that you are safe." Deanna patted her on the back reassuringly. "So don't worry and keep yourself and your family safe, Jem. That's how you can help in this war." Her voice trailed off because she noticed someone going into Myrtle's bathroom.

"I think I have to go now. Don't worry, alright?" Deanna gave her one last hug before running to the bathroom. As she always did before entering that bathroom, Deanna took a deep breath before entering. She then saw Draco Malfoy clutching the sink, head bowed, with Myrtle near him.

"Deanna," said Myrtle in surprise. "What are you –"

"He gave you a mission, didn't he?" Deanna directed to Malfoy whose head snapped up, surprise and fear evident in his eyes.

"W-What –"

"Damn it, Draco." Deanna stepped towards him with worry in her expression. "I may be an idiot at times, but I'm not stupid. I know him. He told you to do something, didn't he?"