xii. reunited with rubeus

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"Ron, I have to go," she said quickly, running down the steps. "Good luck!" She did not know what Ron did say to that because she was already out of sight and out the castle in a few minutes. She ran to the hut and knocked frantically on the door. There was the sound of heavy footsteps and a gruff voice saying, "Who is it?"

The door then opened, and Deanna was face to face with a bloody and bruised Rubeus Hagrid. Hagrid's eyes widened. "D-Deanna? Is that you?"

"Deanna?" said a voice from behind them. Deanna turned around to see that Harry, Ron and Hermione were there too.

"Oh, Hagrid," gasped Hermione. Deanna opened her mouth to say something when she was lifted off the ground and pulled into a tight hug.

"Oh, Deanna, it was all my fault," said Hagrid, sobbing into Deanna's clothes.

Deanna smiled tearily and hugged him back. "It wasn't your fault, Rubeus. I know you, I know the truth. What's good is I'm back, eh? Now, let's get in before someone sees us." Hagrid sniffed loudly and went into the hut, Deanna still in his arms, while Harry, Ron and Hermione followed.

"I can't believe you're here," said Hagrid, setting her down. "And you're still... you. How?"

"What happened to you first, Rubeus?" she said, holding her hand up to his cheek while looking at him worriedly.

"Nuthin'," said Hagrid quickly.

"What happened to you?" Harry demanded.

"Told yeh, nuthin'," said Hagrid firmly. "Want a cuppa? Tell me what happened, Dee. How'd you come back?"

"Rubeus, I think I should know about your summer first," she said, crossing her arms.

Hagrid grumbled and slapped a piece of dragon meat onto the left side of his face, "Still stubborn even after fifty years."

Deanna merely rolled her eyes at that. "Look, we'll tell you about our summers, and you tell us about yours."

"And what makes yer think I'm agreeing to that?" said Hagrid, raising an eyebrow.

"Did the giants beat you up, Hagrid?" asked Hermione quietly. Hagrid's fingers slipped on the dragon steak, and it slid squelchily onto his chest. Deanna's eyebrows furrowed, now thinking about it. Why hadn't she thought of it sooner? Where were the giants in the Forbidden Forest?

"Giants?" said Hagrid, catching the steak and slapping it back over his face. "Who said anythin' abou' giants? Who yeh bin talkin' to? Who's told yeh what I've — who's said I've bin — eh?"