lxxii. rise from the ashes

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

May 1, 2003

"Hey, you two, come in." Hermione smiled at Harry Knight-Potter and Ron Weasley who came to the Mould-on-the-Wold to check in on their friend.

"Good evening, Mione."

"Hello, Hermione."

The two greeted her back and hugged her with grins on their faces before they all went into the house.

"Fawkes, hello." Harry and Ron waved at the phoenix who let out a cry before letting them pat his feathers. The phoenix flew back to his new perch that Hermione made with special features. The two boys looked around and saw the house was a little messy. They exchanged sad smiles when they saw a Hufflepuff Quidditch jersey on the couch. The traces of her were still there.

Hermione seemed to notice what they saw and fixed the mess up with a wave of her wand, the jersey flying back into the closet. She sent them a small smile, trying to convince them she was fine. "Sorry, the house is a little messy today. Why don't you sit down first and I'll fix up lunch?"

"Go on, Mione, we'll be waiting here." Harry reassured her with a smile, and Hermione smiled back at them gratefully before she went off into the kitchen. Harry and Ron sat down at the couch and sighed in unison. Who was Hermione trying to convince? They knew she wasn't fine.

There was actually a reason why they went there today of all days. It was because tomorrow marked Deanna's 5th death anniversary. A day that hurt all of them deeply but so much more for Hermione. They knew Hermione would be unreachable tomorrow, so they at least wanted to be there for her today.

Hermione had gotten a lot better. She would come to the Burrow, her parents' house or Hog's Head whenever she had free time, and she was easily rising through the ranks of the Ministry. Everyone knew that she would be the next Minister of Magic, and she was perfect for the role. She was also genuinely happy again with her achievements and her life, so Harry and Ron were happy for her.

She had her family, friends and her dreams. However, they knew there was something missing. Or rather, someone... That light in her eyes, the sparkle that only one person could bring out, was gone. They haven't seen it for 5 years. It died with Deanna, and nobody had the courage to try and help Hermione find that light again. But as her best friends, Harry and Ron knew this was their duty. It was also part of their promise to Deanna.

"Harry, should we just go through with it?" Ron asked all of a sudden. "You know, the thing we talked about."

"There is nothing we can do..." Harry let out a sigh after remembering that certain talk of theirs. Well, he couldn't deny Ron had a point, but was there anything they can do for Hermione who would always love Deanna?