xxix. truths and secrets

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

Deanna stretched her arms and yawned. It was the first rest day she had in weeks since she was busy with homework and Quidditch practice. She had also come to Slughorn's dinners but that was only to make sure that Cornick McSlugs wouldn't come near Hermione. She felt bad that she didn't get to spend much time with her father and that she wasn't able to visit Aberforth and Ariana that much but she had sent them letters and she was going to visit them the next day anyways.

"Pops, you're here!" Deanna gave him a tight hug, seeing that her father was behind his desk unlike the past few weeks. He was always somewhere else and she was getting worried for him.

"I missed you, love." Dumbledore kissed her on the forehead. "I'm sorry, your old man has been occupied with matters of urgency. How have you been?"

And she and Dumbledore exchanged stories about how their time had gone. What amused Dumbledore was the fact that Hermione Granger would be mentioned every 10 seconds or so. Of course, he didn't push on about that because he didn't want to fluster his daughter and he wanted to talk to her lots after missing her badly.

Dumbledore, on the other hand, was vague with his stories. He would just say that he was doing things for the Order and preparing more for their next lesson with Harry. He also said that he was learning more that he can about their prophecies.

"Hey, Pops. I have a question." Deanna suddenly said. Dumbledore let out a hum to tell her to continue. "I've heard from Mione –"

Deanna cut herself off and continued as if she had not said anything but the blush on her cheeks said otherwise. "I mean... I read that if someone was born out of a love potion, that person would lack the ability to love... Why did T-Voldemort fall in love with me?"

Dumbledore stared at her for a moment before nodding. "Your prophecy... It was a prophecy of a long time ago, long before you and Voldemort were born. Sibyll Trelawney's grandmother, Cassandra Trelawney, had made the prophecy in front of Gellert Grindelwald. Grindelwald had told me about the prophecy since it could have been Ariana, but then, you know what happened."

Deanna just nodded in understanding and squeezed his hand. Even if it had been a long time already, the pain had never gone away.

Dumbledore took in a deep breath and spoke again. "After Ariana's death, the prophecy was forgotten... Until you came, love. You came, and we thought that it could have been you, but then, you and Tom were in love with each other. None of us knew at that time that Tom was the Heir of Slytherin so once again it was forgotten. And three years ago, Harry, Ron and Hermione had discovered that Tom was indeed the Heir of Slytherin."