❝𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐄𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐒 & 𝐃𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐇𝐎𝐕'𝐒 𝐂𝐔𝐑𝐒𝐄❞

2ND MAY 1998

2ND MAY 1998

· · ─────── ϟ ─────── · ·

THE CROWD SPILLED OUT OF THE CASTLE AND INTO THE courtyard as Neville and Ginny stood before them. On the other side, Voldemort's procession of death eaters marched forwards, Hagrid towering above them all as their prisoner.

They stopped a fare distance away and that's when they all started to notice what Hagrid was carrying or rather, who.

"No...NO!" Ginny cried out, she rushed forward but Arthur Weasley held her back.

"Silence!" Voldemort shouted. "Stupid girl. You cry for that?" He pointed at Harry's limp body in Hagrid's arms.

"Tell me. These last few hours – as you collected the dead and tended your wounded – was he by your side? While your hands ran dark with blood of mothers and sons, fathers and daughters, brothers and sisters, his were clasped in prayer – but it was a prayer for one and one only. While you battled courageously, until you could no longer will yourself to stand, he had long since fallen to his knees. While you cursed me until your voices grew ragged, he begged me for mercy in a voice as meek as a child's.

So do not cry for that. He's not worthy of your tears. And do not despair of his betrayal. You were never in his heart. Not for one single solitary beat."

"Liar!" Ron shouted.

Voldemort flicked his wand and Ron fell to his knees, grimacing in pain.

"Did you not hear me! Harry Potter is dead! From this day forward, you put your faith in me or suffer the consequences. HARRY POTTER IS DEAD!" His eyes raked over the crowd of students and staff. "Now is the time to declare yourself."

No one dared step forward. Olivia would hex them herself if anyone did. She'd rather die than submit to Voldemort.

"Draco..." Lucius Malfoy called out to his son.

Draco looked up and... hesitated.

"Draco, don't be stupid."

"Come, Draco." It was his mother's quiet, but certain voice that made him move.

He stopped in front of Voldemort who pulled him into a very awkward hug. As soon as he made it to his parents, Narcissa and Draco walked away.

"Well done, Draco. Who will be next? Hm? Come now, don't be shy." Voldemort taunted.

Everyone burned with defiance. No one moved. That was until Neville cautiously stepped forward, limping. He held the sorting hat tightly in one hand. Olivia's heart sunk a little bit.

Not Neville.

"Well, I must say, I'd hoped for better. Is this truly the best Hogwarts has to offer?"

The death eaters laughed, Bellatrix Lestrange's cackle standing out the most.

"Who might you be, young man?"

"Neville Longbottom."

"Well, welcome, Neville. I'm sure we can find a place for you in our ranks."

"Someone has to do the washing." Bellatrix mocked, causing another roar of laughter.

"Now, now, Bellatrix. Let's not underestimate our young friend. By stepping forward, he lives to see another day..."

"I'd like to say something." Neville said, standing brave.

"Very well, Neville. I'm sure we'd all be fascinated to hear what you have to say."

Neville turned to face the students and professors. "It doesn't matter that Harry is gone."

"Stand down, Neville!" Seamus shouted in anger.

"People die every day. Friends. Family. Yes, we lost Harry tonight. But he's still here—" Neville tapped his heart. "And so is Fred and Remus and Tonks and...all of them. They didn't die in vain." He turned to Bellatrix and pointed at her. "But you will! And you and you and you will." He turned to Voldemort. "And so, will you. Because you're wrong. Harry's heart did beat for us. All of us..."

Neville stepped forward and pulled the sword of Gryffindor out from the sorting hat. "This isn't over!"

Voldemort's wand flicked towards Neville, but the spell sent his way rebounded off of the sword and instead hit a quartet of Death Eaters. Harry may have been dead, but Neville sure did bring hope back to everyone.

This was the time to stand.

Jumping into action, Olivia sprung forward, shooting spells towards the death eaters and others followed.

All they had to do was kill the snake. Kill the snake and then it was just Voldemort left.

After knocking down a few death eaters, Olivia came face to face with the one person she wanted to. Antonin Dolohov. The death eater that killed Remus and Tonks.

"You'll die for what you did." She glared at him.

"Did I kill your daddy?" Dolohov taunted, a sickening smile appearing on his face.

"Confringo!" Olivia sent the curse at him, only for it to be blocked easily.

"You'll have to try a lot harder than that." He sneered. Dolohov waved his wand and sent curse after curse at Olivia.

She stumbled backwards, leading him inside the castle. His curses were being matched perfectly by her protection charms. Neither one of them could harm the other, no matter how much they wanted to.

Spells were being sent at the both of them, in order to help each side, but for some reason the spells bounced off them, as if there was a bubble protecting them.

And there was. The bubble had turned a bright white and made everyone around them disappear.

But the two duelling did not notice this. Neither of them noticed as they then walked into a clean and pristine Great Hall. No more rubble, no causalities, no one duelling. They were completely alone and oblivious.

Dolohov got lucky, he cast his own special curse, non-verbally that sent Olivia recoiling in shock from the pain.

It felt as if someone was cutting up her insides. But she had no moment to register the pain. If she wanted to strike him down, now was the time. Dolohov was standing there smug as she fell to the ground.

Locomotor mortis. She cast the spell non-verbally and his legs locked together. And just as quick as she cast that spell, she sent another his way. "Reducto!"

Dolohov was sent flying across the hall and into the wall, knocked out.

Olivia's eyes grew heavy as she was finally able to register the pain. Her head rested against the cool stone of the floor. A face appeared above her, that she only just about saw through hazy vision.

"Hey, professor. I think I need some he—" Her voice slipped away as she fell unconscious.