ch. 26 long day at the ice cream shop

I sat down in the booth in front of Lavinia. She was so scared, and she was nervous. I felt bad. I mean, meeting your big sister for the first time is big, and I felt like I messed my first impression up. I didn't want her to see me as a scary and nothing-but-trouble sister, I wanted her to see me as a caring and listening sister.

"You know, I always wanted a sister." I said. She sat up with wide eyes, probably thinking I was going to yell at her.

"Yea, its true. I always wanted a sister, that I could bond with and tell anything to. I guess I always wanted that support, you know?" I said, hoping she got what I said.

She finally relaxed. "Yea, I do know what you mean. I always wanted that one person I could tell everything to." I smiled and nodded, looking down at my bowl of chocolate.

She sighed. "Look, I know I'm probably an intruder on your life. I haven't ever been here for you and I understand if you want nothing to do with me." She started to get up.

I grabbed her arm. "No, please, stay. I want to get to know you. You are everything but an intruder. It may be hard, but I want to give this sister thing a try. Your the closest family I've got right now, and I just met you." She smiled and sat back down.

"And plus, I think your one kickass little sister." I finished. We both laughed.

"So, tell me everything. I want to get to know you." I said. She sighed, looking out the window.

"Well, I was always told by aunt Lisa that my parents would come back for me, that they wanted me, but they needed time. I looked at the stars every night thinking mom was looking too hoping she would soon return for me." She said.

"Was she nice?" I asked. "Who? Oh, Aunt Lisa? Oh, she was wonderful. She would always help me with school and other things. She was like my mother." She laughed at the memories.

"I remember one time," she continued, "I had fallen off the swing set at recess, and they had to call her to come get me because I wouldn't stop screaming." She laughed, and I joined along.

"Then one day, she got off the phone and came into my room, and I could tell by the look on her face. She told me I was going home, that my parents were ready now. I was so happy, I actually felt like I belonged." She smiled, and I smiled with her.

"So what about you?" She chuckled. "What have you been doing for the past 17 years? Or 14 years I haven't seen you." We both smiled.

I sighed. "Do you want to know everything?" I honestly wasn't sure if I should tell her or not. "Yes I want to know everything! Your my big sister." She responded. I sighed again.

"Well, since I was little things would go on. Big problems. With mom, especially dad. I would think it was because I wasn't being good. But daddy just wanted his little girl." She gasped.

"I'm.. I'm sorry. What kind of things?" She said, barely. "Um, things. Don't worry about it, kiddo. Only time will reveal." She smiled and nodded.

"After a little while, Trey had found out what had been going on, at school and the other things. He helped me, let me move in with him. Been at that house for almost a year now. That family, it became my family." I smiled and looked down.

"I remember the first night, I was sleeping in the guest room, and I woke up screaming. Trey came running in, scared as hell someone was trying to hurt me. He took me in his arms, and just held me, until I drifted to sleep. Now, I can't get to sleep without someone holding me. I've been in his room since. Now, we've been going strong for about, oh, I guess about 2 weeks now. I thought it was longer, we've known each other for so long, but only 2 weeks about. He has been here for me so Much, him and his family."