Chapter 25 - Back to the Good Times

Zacznij od początku

“What’s up?” Kyle asked me, obviously seeing something wrong.  I love that about him - he could tell when something was bugging me.

“I just don’t know if Caleb’s going to bother showing up.  I mean, you know I broke up with him, so that makes it awkward for us.  What if he hates me now?  I probably torn his heart up.  I feel so bad about doing it.  You don’t understand.  I just-”

“Shh,” Kyle put a finger to my lips.  “It’s okay, I know you’re confused about everything.  I know you probably still like Caleb.  I know you feel empty without him.  Let me just assure you everything will be alright.”

“But how can it all be fine if he’s not here?” my lip trembled.  I worry too much.

“You have me.  Destiny, I’ll always be your best friend, okay?” he said very sincerely, wrapping an arm around me.  I rested a head on his shoulder.

“Okay.  I love you - like I brother of course,” I said, for the first time in ages.

“I love you too, like a sister,” he winked, causing a laugh.

“Hey, do you want to know a secret?” I randomly asked.  

“Sure.  Go ahead.”

“I used to like you.  A lot,” I admitted.  Who cares, it’s not like it matters anymore.  I was having a YOLO moment.  Besides, I wanted to see his reaction.

At first he didn’t say anything.  He just looked at me in disbelief.

“Really?” he breathed.  “Wow.  I, uh, never noticed.  If only I had known.”

“How did you not notice?  Didn’t I make it obvious enough?”

“I really didn’t know that.  How stupid am I?”

“Very.” I tickled his stomach.  “Silly you.  I kept trying to drop hints, but whatever.  I moved on.”

“Well, I used to like you too, as a matter of fact,” he said, as if nobody knew.

“Oh really,” sarcasm clear in my voice.  I smiled.  “You know, I’m just glad I have you as a friend.”

“True that!”

We sat peacefully for a little, while the rest were talking nonstop without us.  Suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

Before either of us could budge, Caleb burst through the door.  His hair wasn’t spiked up as it usually was, he looked like he hasn’t slept all month.  His clothes were wrinkled and he looked painful.  As soon as he and I made eye contact, it seemed as if everything around us disappeared.

Caleb’s eyes held pure sadness in them.  I wanted for him to hold me in his arms.  I wanted to comfort him and tell him I didn’t mean to hurt him.

Instead, we said stared at each other, like breaking the gaze would end the world.

All I knew was that when I looked at him, I saw everything I needed.

***

Caleb’s POV

Looking at Destiny, man, she looked so vulnerable.  She looked a little different from the last time I saw her too.  

One thing for sure, she was the most gorgeous girl I have ever seen.  As soon as our eyes met, I never wanted to look at anyone else.  No one compared to her.  Destiny’s beautiful, inside and out.

I haven’t been thinking straight for the past few weeks, due to heartbreak.  Yes, I was still upset over our relationship.  Nobody would love her like I did.