❝𝐖𝐀𝐑 & 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇❞

1ST MAY 1998

1ST MAY 1998

· · ─────── ϟ ─────── · ·

THUNDER CRACKED AND LIGHTNING STRUCK. The boathouse they were stood in trembled. Ron Weasley yanked a board from the window and they all peered outside. A face had appeared amongst the clouds above and then Voldemort's cold voice echoed out.

"You have fought valiantly but in vain. I do not wish this. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. I therefore, command my forces to retreat. In the absence, dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured.

Harry Potter, I speak now directly to you. On this night, you have allowed your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. There is no greater dishonour. Join me in the Forbidden forest and confront your fate. Should you do so, I give my word that no other life will be lost on this night. You have one hour. If, at the end of that time, you have not given yourself up, then I shall punish every last man, woman and child who tries to conceal you from me."

The boathouse trembled once more and the face of Voldemort vanished from the clouds.

"Never! Do you hear me? NEVER!" Ron shouted out. Hermione Granger placed her hand on the back of his, calming him down as she glanced at Harry.

Harry held on tightly to the flask in his hand as he gazed down at Snape's still body. The Dark Lord's snake had killed the professor at his command.

"Come on." Olivia King tugged at Harry's arm and pulled him away, leading them all back up towards the castle. There was no need to linger.

They climbed up the enormous number of stairs that Olivia never thought she'd have to climb again other than first year. For a small fleeting moment, it all flashed back to her; sitting in the boats that took them to Hogwarts for the first time, the sorting hat being placed on her head and declaring that she was a Gryffindor, becoming best friends with Hermione, Harry and Ron. The four of them were inseparable.

Ron pushed open the doors to the Great Hall and they all walked inside. The four tables were pushed against the walls as the injured stood in groups, arms slung over each other waiting to be treated by Madam Pomfrey.

She was currently treating Filch who was laced with gashes across his body.

Olivia gulped deeply, taking it all in. So many people were injured, and so many were already dead; their bodies covered with cloths. In the distance, she could see the Weasley's crowded together over a body. Her chest tightened at hearing George's sob.

It was Fred. Fred Weasley was dead.

Ron had rushed over and cried into George's shoulder. Hermione soon joined him.

But Olivia stood in place as she mourned for him. She mourned for the boy she had dated at one point but they had broken it off on good terms.

She froze as she looked down. Her eyes were stuck like glue onto a figure on the floor. Someone she never wanted to see lying so still. Her heart tightened and a sob shook her body. Harry caught her at the last second before she could fall to the floor. His eyes flowed her gaze, and he wanted to scream out as much as Olivia was, but he didn't.

She left Harry's grasp and ran over to his body, cradling his face. Her head rested against his as she cried out. The man who she saw as more of a father than her own was dead.

Remus Lupin was dead.

Olivia had never grown up with a loving family. Her mother died shortly after giving birth and her father liked to pretend that Olivia didn't exist. He wasn't sociable at all and tended to hide out in their house.

A house that was hidden under a Fidelius charm. It was why Olivia always snuck out when she was at home. She'd hide out at the Weasley's or Hermione's whenever she could. She wasn't allowed to leave, unless it was to go to school. Apparently, it was safer that way.

When he died, only did Olivia learn the truth. Her father was a death eater. But the man never wanted to be one in the first place. He was forced into it by his family. And then he was murdered by Voldemort the night the Dark Lord returned.

Murdered for being a blood traitor.

Olivia never got to know who her father truly was before he died. She had to hear what had happened from Harry.

But from that moment on, Remus Lupin took Olivia in. He took care of her. He made sure she had a roof over her head and someone to be there for her.

He just couldn't be dead. He had too much to live for. He'd only just married Nymphadora Tonks and she had just given birth to a beautiful baby boy. The sibling Olivia always wanted. Teddy Lupin had just lost both of his parents.

Olivia couldn't take it anymore, she stood up and rushed out of the Great Hall, brushing past Harry. She needed air. The pressure kept building in her chest as she finally made it out to fresh air.

· · ─────── ϟ ─────── · ·

Ron, Hermione and Olivia were sat on the stairs waiting. Harry had wondered off and they were all praying that he hadn't gone to the Forbidden forest. Olivia was still numb all over, still reeling from the shock of Remus being dead.

Hermione turned around, finding Harry walking down towards them. "Where've you been?"

"We thought you'd gone to the forest, we thought you might be—" Ron started only to be cut off by Harry.

"I'm going there now."

"Are you mad? No!" Ron protested.

"It's...meant to be."

"Rubbish! You can't just give yourself up to him—"

Hermione squeezed Ron's arm, silencing him. "What is it, Harry? What is it you know?"

"There's a reason I can...hear them, the Horcruxes."

Olivia watched on helplessly as Hermione shook her head not wanting to hear it. Harry simply nodded his head and touched the centre of his chest. "I think I've known for a while. I think you've known too."

Hermione was miserable, "I'll go with you. I'll—"

Harry reached over to her cheek and wiped away the falling tears.

"Kill the snake. Kill the snake and then it's just him. Then it will be over." Harry turned, leaving them standing at the bottom of the stairs.

"Harry!" Olivia called out.

He turned at her trembling voice. She leaped into his body and hugged him tightly. If this was going to be his last hug, she was going to make it a good one.

She pressed a kiss to his cheek and let him leave.