34 | Welcome back

"You know you don't have to stay for the month right? I'll be fine on my own." I tell my mom as she drives me home. "And risk you getting all messed up again? No, I'm going to make sure you do your exercises everynight before bed. And I don't care if your father doesn't want me staying that long. It's either I stay for a month or you come live with me till you graduate high school. Lo digo en serio, jovencita." She says not looking at me. "Okay, stay that long then because I'm not leaving dad." I cross my arms as she continues to drive.

"I thought I was picking her up like last time?" My dad comes out of the house asking my mom as she gets out of the car too. "Basically she stays for a month to keep an eye on me or I go live with her." I grab my bags walking past him into the house. "I wouldn't be here if you kept her up to date with things. This is all your fault Chris because no puedes ser un buen padre." I hear my mom argue with him. "I've been a good father while you've been the terrible mother! You up and left us when we were in a bad place with money so don't say I'm the bad parent." My dad shouts at her.

"Sadie! You're back!" Rory shouts outside my window. "Just got back. What are you doing out here at night?" I ask him opening my window more. "I take late night flights for a snack." He shows me his fangs as he comes in and my mom walks in. "Vampire!" She pulls out her dagger getting ready to throw it at him. "MOM NO!" I stop her. "It's Rory." I walk over to him stepping in front of him. "You're still friends with him?" She eyes him. "He's not the only one I'm friends with... There's Sarah and Erica too. Just get out of my room, I don't want you in here. I'll do my damn exercise in a minute."

She leaves my room, "I'm sorry Rory but now isn't the time to hang out. I have a lot to do because she's here. Goodnight." I give him a hug. "It's okay. happy you're back and you look good too." He hugs me back before leaving. I unpack everything before setting up for what mom has been making me do all summer with her. It was just meditating with candles and repeating a chant over and over.

---

"I was trying to summon chicks, and then

"I was trying to summon chicks, and then..." I sneak up on the boys to see Ethan pull out a chick. "Aww." I say making Benny turn around, "Sorta worked... You're back!" He gets a big smile. "Let me hold it and yes I'm back. I got home last night." I tell them as Benny hands me the chick. "Glad to have you back, but just focus from now on, Benny. I'm worried about her." Ethan says and I'm sure he was talking about Sarah. "Sarah's probably just traumatized. She'll need time to adjust! And then..." He stops as we hear her. "So then the fledgling says, My dentist is the one with the cavities now!" The girls stop walking.

"Adjustment complete! Trauma all gone. Vampires all happy-happy." Benny says petting the chick I was still holding. "Look who I bumped into." Erica smiles. "I would say care for a welcome back chick but Sadie beat you to it." Benny tells her. "Benny, so cute! That'll be a yummy snack later if you don't want it anymore." Sarah jokes but we were taken back. "What?" Ethan asks. "It's a joke! Ethan, I don't remember you being so serious." Sarah laughs."I don't remember you being so funny. But good one!" He adds so Benny and I laugh with him to ease the tension.