28 | BRAINS

"I'm not breaking any arms or smashing anyone just because he called you... What was it?" Sarah asks as the guys asked her to do something. "Teethan." Ethan whines. "Benny Rabbit." Benny pouts. "It's not what he says, it's how he says it." Benny tells her. "Ahem. Let's go, boys and lady." Our teacher calls us. "Right with you, sir. If we're not there in five minutes, start boring kids without us." Benny smiles. "We'll be right there, sir." Ethan tells the teacher.

"Forget it. Look, I have a field trip to the art gallery. Lucky me. Later Sades, Teethan, Benny Rabbit." Sarah smiles leaving us. "Sounds cute when she says it." Ethan smiles. "Well okay, Teethan and Benny Rabbit." I baby talk their names walking to the classroom. "I like when she says it." I hear Benny tell Ethan. As I take my seat at the table next to them our teacher was acting odd. "Bromine...aluminum... nitrogen. Brain...Brain." He underlined the word and not teaching us.

"Brain

"Brain. I feel hot. I need a... Excuse me." The teacher leaves the classroom. "I think what he meant... is text freely amongst yourselves." Benny says and everyone gets in their phones. "Why are you texting me?" I laugh looking over at Benny before moving my stool over to them. "Sarah tell you to fight your own battles?" He smacks me, "Shut up." I laugh leaning on his shoulder.

"There goes the French teacher, Mrs. Lafleur. She's not looking too good either." Ethan says as we watch her walk by. "Yeah, well she's also a teacher, so who le heck cares, right?" Benny laughs and we just look at him weird. "Greetings, mortals." Rory jumps in front of us. "You look stranger than usual." Ethan tells him. "Very perceptive, mortal. Of course, you are among the few who know my real secret identity. RV. Rory Vampire. Defender of the Innocent! Hark, a cry for help. Someone is in need of brains. RV, away." Rory explains before running away.

"You mean, someone else is in need of brains? You know, maybe he's finally gonna meet his soul mate after all." Benny says making us laugh. "Have you met yours yet?" I laugh joking. "Maybe... I'm just waiting for her to realize it." He smiles at me and Ethan gets excited. "How am I still friends with you two?" I ask making them shrug. "I wonder that too. You could do so much better." Ethan laughs making me wrap my arms around the both of them.

---

"Zombies! Zombies!" Benny yells dragging me with him as we ran down the halls. "We need to warn everybody." The three of us run in to the announcement room. "What? Didn't you hear me screaming? I think we've done our part." Benny tells him. "Come on! Here, wait for my cue. You're on." Ethan tells Benny. "Testing. Check, one, two. Testing, count them. Attention, all Whitechapel students. This is an emergency life-saving announcement from Benny Weir. Admit it, girls, you know who I am. Due... Due to unforeseen circumstances, ah, beyond our control... we have no choice but to cancel all classes, extracurricular activities, and..." Benny takes his time. "Zombies! Run!" Ethan takes it from him. "Ah!" An adult grabs Ethan's arm.

"Ethan! Snap out of it! Come on!" We grab him but the teacher wouldn't let go so Benny knocks her out. "Let's go." I run ahead of them. "I just had a vision. The coffee from Lotta Latte. That's what's making this happen." Ethan tells us as we slightly hide. "Lotta Latte? Figures. You'd have to be brain-dead to pay 5 bucks a cup for flavored bean juice." Benny says. "But that doesn't make any sense. This coffee has been around for a long time. Why is it, all of a sudden, turning people into zombies? What changed?" I ask them leaning on Benny's back pushes up against the locked door.