Mort Rainey #9

Imagine you moving into a new home and you meet your neighbor, Mort Rainey.

*Requested by RaquelFiuzinha*

(A/N: Take a look at a special surprise at the end.)

You were driving down the road in a small town called 'Tashmore Lake' around the afternoon as you were moving to your new home. All your life, you grew up in New York City and it was time for a new change in your life as you were starting your career as a writer. You thought that living in a small town would be the perfect place for you to live in since you wanted peace and quiet while working on your writing.

After driving through town for a couple of minutes, you pulled up to your new home, which was a secluded cabin in the woods near town. It was a very nice cabin; it was by the lake, there was a secret garden on the side, and you were surrounded by silence all over the woods. You got out of your car, stretched a little bit after driving for a long time, and, then, you walked behind the trailer and started unloading.

Sooner or later, you took a break after an hour and a half of unloading and bringing your stuff into your cabin. As you were sitting in your car with the door open while eating a snack, you, suddenly, heard some footsteps from nearby. At first, you were thinking it was a wild animal, but, then, you saw a man appear from the side of your cabin, hiking on a trail. He had shoulder length blonde hair with dark roots, wore glasses, a dark blue long sleeve shirt, gray brown pants with a couple of holes, and a hiking stick. He seemed rather handsome to you as you watched him walking closer.

When he turned his head towards your direction, he saw you sitting in your car with a moving trailer before he started walking towards you. As he was getting closer, you got out of your car, closed the door, and stepped forward just as he stopped in front of you. "Hello, sir." You said, with a smile. "Hi, there. You must be my new neighbor." He said. "Oh. Um, yes, I am. I had no idea that I had neighbors nearby." You said. "I live right across from the lake over there. Around this area of Tashmore Lake, there aren't many cabins except for yours and mine." He explained, while pointing to the location of where his cabin was. "Huh. Interesting. I didn't know that." You said.

He turned back to you and held his hand out towards you. "I'm Mort Rainey, by the way." He introduced himself to you. You took his hand in yours and shook it before you said, "I'm (y/n) (y/l/n) and it's very nice to meet you, Mort." "Same with you, (y/n)." Mort said. After you released his hand, you stared at him for a second as you were trying to figure out where you've heard or seen his name before. "Your name sounds very familiar. I feel like I've seen or heard of you from somewhere." "Well, I do write mystery novels." He said.

When he mentioned that he writes mystery novels, that's when it clicked your mind. "Oh, my gosh. Now I recognize you. I love your mysterious novels. I read them while I was in college years ago. I'm very fascinated with your work." You said, happily, but calmly since you didn't him to think you're a crazy obsessed fan. He chuckled, softly, and said, "Thank you, (y/n). I'm glad you love my work. It actually means a lot to me to hear from people that love my novels." "Of course, Mort. Your novels really kept me on the edge of my chair, especially with my favorite, 'Secret Window'. That's what I love about your work." You said. Mort simply nodded, with a small smile.

Then, Mort changed the subject. "So, have you gotten everything all moved in?" Mort asked. "Oh. No, I haven't. I only brought in the boxes and the not-so-heavy stuff. I still have my mattress, desk, bookshelves, and my couches to bring in." You answered. "Did you need some help?" Mort offered. You thought it was very nice of him to help you bring in the rest of your stuff that were heavy to carry in, even though he just met you, but you didn't want to be a burden to him. "Oh. You don't have to do that. I'd hate to keep your from your work." You said. "It's alright. I'm not writing right now, so I got plenty of time." Mort obliged. "Okay, then. I really appreciate you offering to help me, Mort." You said. "It's no problem at all." Mort added.