Barnabas Collins #5

Imagine Barnabas Collins finding out that you play the guitar.

*Requested by thevampireriley*

A week ago, you were hired as a cook for the Collins family at the Collinwood mansion. You're a struggling guitar player trying to raise enough money so that you could travel to some major cities in the United States and perform at many local clubs and hopefully sign up to a well-known agency. But so far, it hasn't been the best start to your musician dream. After hitchhiking with a van full of hippies, you've decided to stop and search for a decent job to help earn some money for yourself before fulfilling your dream.

The Collins family was very impressed with your cooking as they've always been served dry rump roast beef for a long time by Willie. You've learned how to cook from your mother growing up and it was something that you enjoyed a lot besides playing the guitar. You've made a great impression on the family, that you've decided to stay longer. But little did the family know was that you mostly decided to stay longer was because you've developed a crush on a distant relative, Barnabas Collins, who had recently moved into the mansion not too long ago.

When you first met him, you, at first, found him very odd because of the way he talked and how he dressed elegantly like he was from a different time. But when you found out that he was actually a vampire after you overheard Dr. Julia Hoffman and Elizabeth talking about him. You, for some reason, didn't feel the least bit afraid of him. Instead, you felt safe whenever you were around him and talking with him. When you asked him if he was really a vampire, he admitted that he was and that he was cursed and buried alive for two centuries ago by a witch, Angelique, who happens to be the same woman who owns the seafood cannery in town, 'Angel Bay'. He may be a cursed vampire, but to you, he's the most handsome immortal you've ever met.

***

It was late in the evening as Barnabas was strolling around the hallway minding his own business. Then, a sound of music caught his ears. He stopped in his tracks to listen to the music. It was way different than the music that Carolyn plays all the time. It was just a single musical instrument playing that he's never heard before from his own time.

While the music was playing, he heard an angelical voice singing along with the music for a few seconds until everything went silent. Barnabas was confused for a few seconds until he heard the music again and someone humming. He was so enchanted by the lovely sound, he started following it down the hallway to find out where it came from. He kept walking until the sound got much louder once he reached a door that leads to your bedroom.

Barnabas walked up to your bedroom door and leaned slightly towards it to hear the sound of music playing and your voice vocalizing. "Am I dreaming or do I really hear the sound of (y/n) singing?" He whispered to himself. Then, Barnabas knocked on your door and you said from the other side of the door, "Come in." After that, Barnabas opened your door and he walked inside, seeing you sitting on the edge of your bed, holding a big musical instrument, which was your guitar, on your lap and a notebook on your side.

You looked up and saw Barnabas standing by your doorway. "Hi, Barnabas." You said, with a smile. "Hello, my dear (y/n)." Barnabas said, as he walked into your room, towards you. "What's up?" You questioned. "I was walking down the hallway and I happened to hear that mesmerizing music and beautiful voice coming from you." He said. You blushed, in embarrassment, after he said that. You would easily feel shy and embarrassed whenever you perform in front of someone. "Oh, gosh. You heard me?" You said, while covering the side of your face, still feeling embarrassed.

Then, you felt a cold hand on top of yours and it moved it away from your face. You turned and saw Barnabas sitting next to you. "There's no need to feel embarrassed, my dear (y/n). Your voice and whatever music that you were playing from this musical instrument had me mesmerized and enchanted." He said, as he tucked a strand of your (h/l) (h/c) behind your ear, which made you blush, not from embarrassment this time. "Thank you, Barnabas. That was very sweet of you to say that." You said.

"Of course. Now, then, what's this musical instrument that you have here? I've never seen anything like this before." Barnabas asked, as he tapped on the wood part of your guitar. You looked at him, flabbergasted, when he said that he's never seen a guitar before in his life. "This is a guitar, Barnabas. This is a string instrument that you play by strumming the strings. It's the only musical instrument that I play. Try it." You said, showing him the strings. Barnabas hesitated at first, but, then, he placed a finger on one of the strings and strummed it, making a sound, which caused Barnabas to be spooked. You giggled at his reaction.

"How very interesting. This sort of object that plays music just by how you would say 'strumming' it." Barnabas said, looking at his fingers. "That's just how it is played, Barnabas. Maybe I can teach you how to play it one day." You said. Then, Barnabas looked down at the notebook next to you, with some writing on it. "What's that you have written in your notebook, (y/n)?" He asked. You looked down and picked up your notebook and showed it to him. "This is my lyric notebook, Barnabas. I write my songs and music notes in here. That explains why you heard me singing and playing my guitar earlier because I was writing some new lyrics down and I was playing my guitar to find the right notes for it." You explained.

Barnabas listened to you speak as you were explaining everything to him. "Why don't you play your guitar and sing me your song, (y/n)?" He asked. "Oh. I can't, Barnabas. My lyrics aren't completed and I don't think they're good enough to perform, especially with the music too."  You said, feeling shy. Then, Barnabas set his cold hand on your shoulder and said, "Do not think they're not good enough because you haven't said them yet, (y/n). Play what you have to so far. Do it for me, sweetheart." He encouraged you, which helped melted the shyness away from you. "Okay, Barnabas." You said, while nodding.

You set up your guitar on your lap at the right position and you strummed a couple of the strings to warm up and help find the right key. Once you found the key, you placed your notebook on your leg and started playing your guitar. You glanced down at the lyrics that you've written and, then, you looked up at Barnabas before you started singing.

Once there was a man
Who lived in the seventeen hundreds
He once was a human
Who fell in love with his dear Josette

But the day fell flat
When his love fell to her death
After the jealous witch was mad
And gave the man his last breath

His life was changed that day
When he became as they say
The Cursed Man

The Cursed Man
Buried for two centuries
Then his new life began
In the early nineteen seventies

His thirst is blood
But he adjusted to each day
As he lives in the mansion he loved
And tries to push Angel Bay away

Then, you stopped playing your guitar. "That's all I have written so far. What did you think of it, Barnabas?" You asked. Barnabas stared down at you,  as if he was fascinated. "Did you like it? If not, that's—" You were about to continue, but Barnabas interrupted you as he caressed your cheeks with both of his porcelain white hands. "I am completely more enchanted by these amazing lyrics that you have written and the angelical voice that I heard from you. I myself loved these lyrics and the sound of your beautiful voice, my dear (y/n)." He said, softly, as he leaned forward and placed a kiss on your forehead, which made you blush even more.

After Barnabas kissed you on the forehead, he stared into your (e/c) eyes, with both of his hands still caressing your cheeks. "(y/n), I am learning new things from you and I would be most obliged if you could teach me how to play the guitar. Would you do that for me?" He asked, while he stroked your left cheek with his thumb. You smiled at him and said, "I'll be more than happy to teach you on how to play the guitar, Barnabas." You answered. Then, he leaned forward and pressed his lips against yours. You didn't know what to do for a moment since Barnabas had became your very first kiss, so you closed your eyes and kissed him back, hoping you were doing it right, but also enjoying the wonderful moment with your crush.