Richard Brown #2

Imagine you dancing with Richard Brown.

A whole week of studying for college finals has been so stressful for you that you've decided to go to a small local bar to get rid of the stress before having to deal with finals next week. You were excited that it's the end of your Junior Year in college and you finally get to go home to see your family for the summer. But at the same time, you felt like you didn't want it end after having an interesting term in one of your classes.

When you got to the bar, you sat down at one of the couches, with a small glass of a virgin margarita, relaxing and with your mind off of finals for the next ten minutes. But, then, your eyes started wondering around the whole bar and you immediately saw your English professor, Richard Brown, sitting by himself at one of the small tables, while slouching down, sorrowfully. You took his English class this term, which was pretty interesting because he asked almost half of the students to leave his class and he's been talking in unorthodox manner that has attracted with the remaining students, including you, in his class for some odd reason. At the same time, you've developed a crush on him for being so attractive with his handsome facial features and his soothing voice that could easily get you mesmerized by it.

You thought he seemed upset about something, so you got up from the couch and walked over to where he was sitting. "Hi, Professor Brown." You said to get his attention. He looked up and saw you, with a surprised expression on his face, and said, "Oh. Hi, (y/n). I wasn't expecting to see one of my students here." "I just only came here to get rid of the stress from studying all week for finals." You explained. "Oh, yeah. Finals are next week. Damn, I have a lot on my mind lately, I guess that I am now forgetting that finals are next week." He said. "Those things happen, especially when you have things on your mind." You said, and he nodded.

There was nothing but an awkward silence for a few seconds until you cleared your throat and said, "I saw you sitting here by yourself and you seemed upset. Is everything alright, Professor Brown?" "Honestly, no. I'm not alright. But it would really make me feel better if you would sit with me. I could really use some company with me right now." He responded. "Aw. I'm sorry to hear about that. But I'll be more than happy to stay with you, Professor." You said, as you sat down in the chair across from him. "You can call me 'Richard'. We're not in class." He added. "Whatever you want me to call you, Richard. Can I get a drink for you?" "Sure. I'll just have a red wine and that'll be pretty much it." Richard said. You nodded and you signaled the bartender.

After Richard got his red wine and you got a glass of water, you and Richard did nothing but sit in silence for about a minute, while you both drank your drinks. You tried your best to keep your feelings towards him to yourself so you wouldn't feel awkward in front of him, but it was still nice to hang out with him. Then, you finally spoke, "I'm gonna miss you, Richard." When you said that, Richard looked at you, shocked, as if you knew something that was wrong with him. "Um—What do you mean by that, (y/n)?" He asked, curiously. "I mean I'm gonna miss you after finals are finished and, then, I go back home to my family during the summer." You explained. "Oh. Uh, yeah. I'm gonna miss you too, (y/n)." Richard said, with a hint of sadness in his dark brown eyes.

"I want to say that you were my favorite professor this term and I really enjoyed being in your class. It was very...interesting, but I still had fun." You said. "Well, I—I'm glad that you did and I'm very happy to hear I'm your favorite professor and...I know you're gonna do good with your finals. After that, what are your plans for the summer?" Richard asked. "Mm. I don't know, to be honest. What about you, Richard? Do you have any plans for the summer?" You asked. Richard looked as if he was hesitating to answer, but, then, he said, "I—I don't really have any plans during the summer. I'm not gonna be teaching any classes during the summer term. But maybe later down the road I might take a little trip somewhere. I just don't know where though." You drank the last bit of your water before you said, "I'm sure you'll figure it out soon, Richard." "I hope so." Richard agreed.

All around the bar was nothing but quietness other than a couple of guys playing at the pool table, which kind of made the atmosphere around the bar so boring. You could still tell that Richard was upset about something, but he wasn't gonna admit it to you. So, you decided to brighten the mood by getting up from your chair and going over to the jukebox and play a nice, slow song. You chose the song and, then, you walked back the table, with you standing next to him.

"Come with me, Richard." You said. He furrowed his eyebrows, in confusion. "Where are we going?" He asked. "Come dance with me. You still seem upset about something and I wanna make you feel better." You said, holding your hand out towards him. "Dance? I don't dance." Richard said. "Just dance with me. For tonight." You said. "Okay." Richard responded. Then, he took your hand into his and he stood up before you walked over to a spot on the floor that was next to the jukebox. You released his hand and turned around to face him. He stood there, confused on what to do. "What do I do now?" He asked.

Without answering, you stepped forward, wrapped your arms around Richard's neck, and started swaying, slowly. Richard began swaying along with you, while he placed both of his hands on your back, which made you blush. You rested the side of your head against his chest and breathed in his scent. "Is this it?" He questioned, curiously. "Mm-hm." You sighed. "Now is this so bad?" You said. "Um, no. No, this is actually quite nice." Richard said, as he rested the side of his head on the side of yours, while he rubbed your back in small circles with one hand. You smiled and closed your eyes as you were enjoying this moment with Richard. 'This night can't get any better.' You thought to yourself.

After a minute of slow dancing without talking, Richard broke the silence when he said, "(y/n), can I tell you a secret?" You still kept your eyes closed and swayed with him when you said back, "Sure, Richard." "You promise you won't tell anyone about it?" He asked. "I promise I won't say word to anyone." You said. Richard hesitated to get the words out of his mouth, at first, but, then, he told you, "I got cancer."

When he said the 'C' word, you opened your eyes and lifted your head up so that you were facing him. "What?" You whispered, shaking your head in disbelief. He nodded and said, "Yeah. It's alright. Everyone my age has cancer. For some reason, it just never really kind of hit until...now of what it really means." You stared up at him, without saying a word and trying your best to fight the tears back. It all made sense of why he's upset and what he meant when he mentioned about taking a 'little trip'. "It's become more serious now and...I don't have a lot of time left, not even during the last bit of summer." Richard finished. "I'm sorry, Richard." You said, with sympathy in your eyes, as you continued to fight the tears back.

"It's okay, (y/n). I'll be—I'll be fine. I'm just glad that I'm here with you and I'm enjoying this moment with you where I can easily forget everything that's happening to me right now." Richard said. You gave him a small smile and nodded before you said, "I'm glad that I'm enjoying this moment with you too, Richard." He smiled and, then, he leaned towards you and placed a soft, lingering kiss on your forehead, which made you close your eyes and blush even more. He pulled away and looked down at you and asked, "You promise to keep this between us?" You nodded and answered, "I promise." "Good." Richard said, softly, as he continued swaying with you, while you, sadly, stared at his chest.

"(y/n)?" Richard said. "Yeah?" You said, looking into his eyes. Then, he stopped swaying and he caressed both of your cheeks with his hands and said, "Thank you for making my night better and I just want you to know that I'm very thankful for having a student like you in my life." You smiled and tears started falling down your cheeks again after he said all that. "Same with me, Richard. I'm very thankful for having you as my English professor and to share this moment with you." You said. Richard smiled even more and whispered, "I'm glad, sweetheart. I'm glad." He, then, leaned towards you and pressed his lips against yours. It was very unexpected, but you didn't hesitate to kiss him as you waited a long time to kiss your crush.

Moments later, he pulled away from the kiss and wrapped his arms around you and held you close to him. You wrapped your arms around his torso and rested against his chest. "I love you, (y/n)." Richard said, softly. It was a nice feeling to hear your crush say 'I love you' towards you. But at the same time, your heart felt it was breaking and your eyes were beginning to feel watery. "I—I love you too, Richard." You said, with your voice breaking a little. Then, the tears fell down your cheeks, without Richard noticing. 'I'll miss you, Richard.' You thought to yourself, sadly, as you snuggled against him more closely.