Roux #2

Imagine you open a chocolate shop in France and you meet Roux.

(A/N: Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!)

1959.

It was a cold, foggy Valentine's Day in a small village in France as you were preparing to open up your chocolate shop for the special holiday. You left your home in England and decided to move to a small village in France to open up your own chocolate shop. So far, you've been living in a small loft and setting up your chocolate shop in a small space below your loft for a week and no one from the village has talked to you. It was strange to you because you wanted to get to know them and introduce your chocolate shop to them. After you got the shop finished, you hoped that you'll get at least one customer on the first opening day, which happens to be on Valentine's Day.

When morning came, you made all sorts of types of chocolate, mostly different types of chocolates in the shape of hearts, and, then, you opened up your shop. You waited for a long time and there hasn't been one customer. All you did was look out the open entrance door and see couples walking by, smiling and kissing. This was the main reason why Valentine's Day was your least favorite holiday. It was the one day that you easily get jealous because you never found the man of your dreams that you wanna be with and not even had your first kiss. It was a difficult day for you and you wished that it could somehow get better.

Minutes later, you went over the window display to see if it needed anymore chocolates or decorations that needed to be put up. Then, you saw a man walking by. You were immediately drawn by his attractiveness; his long light brown hair that was put back in a ponytail, his dark brown eyes, his strong jawline, and his handsome facial features. He wore a red shirt that was was revealing part his chest, a loosen tie, blue pants with suspenders, and a brown coat. He seemed new around the village since you've never seen him before.

You hesitated at first, but, then, you took a deep breath and walked out of the door and greeted the man, "Hello." He looked up at you, with a smile. "Hi." He said, with a unique accent. "Are you new here?" You asked. "I suppose you could say that. I have just arrived two days ago." He said, walking up to you, which was starting to make your heart skip a beat and make you blush. 'Oh, I hope he doesn't see me blushing.' You thought to yourself. "Um, why don't you come in? I made a fresh batch of chocolates." You said, gesturing him to step inside. "What about boycotting immorality?" He asked. You furrowed your eyebrows, in confusion, on why he asked that. But, then, you said, "It doesn't happen in my shop. Come inside." Then, he walked inside with you.

Once you both were inside, you walked around the counter and stood on the other side of it. "This is a very nice shop you got here." He said, while walking towards the counter. "Thank you. I just finished setting it up yesterday. I'm (y/n), by the way." You said, holding your hand out towards him. "It's nice to meet you, (y/n). I am Roux." He introduced himself, while he took your hand into his and brought it to his lips and kissed the top of it, which made you blush even more. "It's very nice to meet you too, Roux. Now let me pick out a sample of chocolate for you." You said, as looked around the counter for a good sample for him to try.

Then, you chose a bowl of milk chocolate balls. You took the bowl and held it up. "Here. Try this. It's your favorite." You said. Roux looked down at the bowl and picked one out to try. "What makes you so sure that it's my favorite?" He asked. "Go on. Taste it." You said. Then, he took a bite of the chocolate ball and ate it. While he was chewing, he smiled, like it was his favorite. "It's fantastic." He said. "Thank you. I have a knack for guessing." You said, setting the bowl back on the counter. "That's good. It's not my favorite." Roux said. It bummed you out because you never once had someone, mainly your family, say that it's not their favorite after giving them a random chocolate sample.

"Oh. That's alright. It was worth a try." You said. Roux chuckled, softly, and asked, "If you have a knack of guessing, perhaps I can give it a try to see what your favorite is?" You chuckled back and said, "Give it a try." Then, Roux glanced at the bowls with different types of chocolate in them on the counter. You watched him observe for a bit until he looked up at you. "Judging of how much chocolate you made in each bowl, I'd would say that your favorite is...white chocolate." He guessed. "You're right. It is my favorite. You do have a knack for guessing." You said. "Nah. I was just lucky." Roux said. You chuckled.

"So, have you been guessing your customers what their favorite is?" Roux asked. You looked at him, sadly, and answered, "I haven't had any customers. You're the only one who's been in my shop and it's the first day." He looked at you, with sympathy in his eyes. "Really? With all this good chocolate, you haven't had one customer?" Roux asked. You shook your head and said, "No. I haven't had one customer. In fact, no one all over the village has talked to me ever since I've moved here about a week ago. It's like they don't like new people moving into the village." "I know how you feel, (y/n). I am gypsy man and the whole village instantly shunned me and my group of gypsies that travel with me. The people of the village call us 'River Rats'. I don't know why these people treat newcomers so differently." Roux said.

"What's even worse today's Valentine's Day, my least favorite holiday, and here I am, alone, watching couples walking by, looking happy, not even coming into my chocolate shop. It makes me so jealous easily because I've never experienced that kind of love that I see from couples. It just...saddens me." You said, and, then, you looked down at the top of the counter, feeling sad. Then, you felt two fingers under your chin and they lifted your face up, where you looking directly at Roux. "There is no need to be sad, (y/n). I hate to see a pretty lady sad." He said, kindly. You blushed even more after he called you 'pretty'.

You stared into Roux's dark brown eyes for a few seconds until he spoke again. "How would you like to be my Valentine?" He asked. You were surprised when he asked you that. "Really, Roux?" You asked. "Of course, sweetheart. I would hate to see you upset on a special day that lovers are joined together. I may not know you very well, but I would like to get to know you more." Roux said. You smiled at his beautiful, kind words. You didn't know this man very well, but he seemed like a charming person that you could trust and he's willing to make you happy on Valentine's Day instead of feeling jealous. "So, will you be my Valentine, (y/n)?" He asked. You thought about it for a second until you answered, "I would love to be your Valentine, Roux." He smiled even more and said, "Great."

Then, you heard the village clock chiming. "I should get going." Roux said, which saddened you. "Why?" "I have things to do with my group of gypsies." He said. "Oh. Okay. I understand." You said. "How about we do something together later on?" He asked. "Sure. How about you meet me back here and we can hang out in my loft? We can talk while we enjoy some homemade hot chocolate I can make." You said, with a smile. He chuckled, softly, and said, "It's a wonderful idea. Plus, you guessed my favorite. Hot chocolate." You giggled and said, "And I wasn't even guessing. It was probably just being lucky." He chuckled, once again.

"Well, I must go." Roux said, as he turned around and was about towards the door. "Here. I'll walk you out." You said, as you walked around the counter and you walked Roux to the door. Once you both got to the entrance, you and Roux turned and looked at each other. "I can't wait to see you again tonight, Roux." You said. "Same as I, my Valentine. I can't wait to try your homemade hot chocolate and get to know you more." Roux said, as he took your hand into his. You blushed when you held his hand again. "Until we meet tonight, my sweet Valentine, (y/n)." He said, and, then, he leaned down and placed a kiss on top of it. "See you tonight, Roux." You said. He gave you a wink before he released your hand and walked away. You stared at him while he was walking away, with a smile on your face. 'I hope Roux becomes my first kiss tonight.' You thought to yourself, before you headed back inside your chocolate shop.