Cardinal

It was a beautiful day.

The sun shimmered as it raked it's gentle fingers across the leaves of the trees, lighting the forest with an ethereal glow. 

The blades of grass danced in the slight breeze, brushing against each other as they did. The sounds of nature filled the air. The chirping of the bugs, the twittering of the birds. The occasional peep from a tree frog. 

A girl trekked through the woods, following along a path as she did. She launched herself from rock to rock, enjoying the feeling of freedom and the joy that came with it. Her two companions called out behind her, demanding that she slow down, lest she hurt herself. She tossed back an "I'll be okay," but slowed down despite this. 

She could faintly pick up on the sound of a branch rustling, causing her to pause and look around. Her eyes wandered over every stone and twig, lifting towards the sky where she caught the flash of something red. 

A scarlet bird had flown above her and her companions, sitting itself down in a tree. It preened itself, completely oblivious to the girl that watched it with awe. She silently pointed the bird out to her companions, a childish excitement lighting her eyes.

"Someone must be watching over you." Her mother spoke none too quietly.

The girl smiled. "Maybe."