This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

The sun was setting, casting an orange and golden glow over the ocean, setting it alight like a sea of flames. 

Emmett was stood up on the deck of the ship, strands of his hair whipping across his face. His bun was messy by the end of the day, but he could care less. Right now, his mind was elsewhere. He made a habit out of looking out to sea whenever he can, his eyes always searching the waves for one specific being he knew was always nearby. 

He couldn't produce a clear answer as to why he was so drawn to the siren, only speculate. Perhaps Alexei had put him under a spell, or charmed him in some way, when he wasn't paying attention. Maybe he was just mystified by the unknown, or maybe he had a knack for danger.

Maybe he admired him in a way that went beyond mere friendship, if what they even had was friendship. 

Whatever it was, he knew he should pull back. He would only be putting the sirens life in danger. Emmett was politely withdrawn from his crewmates, which had started after he had discovered what curse, in particular, he had received.

Or, at least, what it would do to those around him.

His eyes strayed to the setting sun. He wished he had someone to watch it with, but he knew how futile it was to wish for such an impossible thing. 

Why did he, of all people, have to be cursed in a way that prevented him from making connections with another living being? Why was it he that had to distance himself? 

He wished for love, both to receive it, and give it.

But to give it would lead to the reaper adding a soul undeserving of death to its collection.

He picked at one of his nails, releasing a breath. He felt rather lonely, and every word exchanged between him and his crewmates, or a particular fish man, was torturous. But he was willing to put up with it if it meant keeping them safe. He can continue to hold himself at a distance.

He can continue looking out to sea, hoping to spot Alexei swimming alongside the ship, and imagining a world where he can speak with the man without fearing for his life.