What Sort of Bullshittery is This?

The monstrous stared down at her, jaws parted to reveal the sharp ass teeth that had torn into her avatar on more occasions than one. Thin strands of flesh and blood hung from those teeth, which were dyed an almost brown from how many players it had already killed.

Her chest was rising and falling with short, winded gasps, arms outstretched, and hands grasping the offering she was making to it. Gods, she was really getting tired of being killed each and every round. For once, she just wanted to survive.

She should leave the game (she found out that couldn't while a round was in progress), take the headset off (the longer she played, the easier it was to forget that it was a game), and get some damn sleep. Maybe eat, first. Faintly, she could feel the angry gurgling of her stomach.

"Take it, please. I just-" Her words were choked off by the sudden jerk of its arm. She flinched away, her grip nearly loosening on the bundle of books and papers she held to the point of dropping them altogether.

Her throat closed up, and she screwed her eyes shut. She fucked up, she should have kept running instead of trying something new. It was going to do what it was created to do and kill her-

But she didn't feel any sort of pain, and there was no "game over"/"you died" screen. Only the blackness provided by closed eyes and a dimly lit room.

Hesitantly, she cracked an eye open. A pink orb, with slitted pupils that resembled a cat's eye, peered up at the claw covered in gore that was inched away from her face. The trembling of its arm was barely noticeable, but this close to it, she could spot it clearly.

Why wasn't it doing anything? Was it bugged? Was the game lagging?

She had half a mind to open up the chat just to see what the hell was going on.

But she waited with bated breath.

Slowly, ever so slowly, it lowered its claw to the offering. It seemed just as confused and hesitant as she did, judging by the crinkle of its pale flesh between its furrowed, blackened brows.

That wasn't possible, though.

Unless the Devs wanted to make it seem so realistic, they added 'confusion' to the list of weapons you could use against the main antagonist of the game. But that wouldn't make sense. She'd flirted with it, she'd thrown swears of all sorts at it in the multiple languages she'd learned from her time in school, and she's even thrown shit at it that earned her many ridiculous titles from the other players (ex, a rubber ducky. don't ask, she refused to talk about what happened). The only responses she earned were the regular, scripted, murderous howls of the enemy catching sight of a player.

This, though... This was new. Then again, she'd never offered it what it chased her down for, before.

Maybe she unlocked a secret?

Her confusion only doubled as its fingers grasped the offering, before promptly tugging them free from her hands. Not too roughly, but roughly enough that she stumbled forwards a step.

And with that singular step forwards, it took a step backward.

As though it were afraid of her.

"What the hell...?" She asked out loud.

Unfortunately, her confusion didn't earn any answers. Instead, she was left standing there, looking like an utter fool, while it took off back down the hall.

She wasn't sure what the fuck just happened, but she was going to keep this little discovery to herself. Maybe she'd finally be able to win the game this way... Or at least survive until the timer ran out.

<><><><>

[A/N: this is based on some weird ass dream i had of playing a horror game that wouldnt let me leave every time i tried to back out during a round (because im a pussy and cannot handle jumpscares very well :'D).]