You Get To Feel My Pain:tm:

"There," he breathed, relishing in the chilled rain that pelted against his skin. The final hillichurlian body fell against Teyvat soil, relief coursing through his veins.

He had been afraid he wouldn't have made it in time to protect the peculiar, golden-eyed human.

"You should have called for me sooner, traveller." He said in an almost scolding manner. His polearm was twisted around, the much more dangerous end resting against the ground.

"...Xiao..."

The way the human said his name had him on high alert, turning slightly.

"What?" He all but bit out. Had he angered him with what his statement? That would be a first, and it concerned him greatly, despite the lack of any visible signs of worry.

What he saw had his heart stuttering.

Aether had his brows drawn towards each other in confusion as he stared down at the two arrows embedded in his front. One to the abdomen...

The other had been plunged into his chest.

Xiao rushed forwards, hold releasing on his weapon, just as Aether's legs gave out.

His golden eyes were dulled with pain so raw, it made his very soul shudder. The Yaksha had been too late.

He hadn't done enough.

He had failed.

Again...

The pair sunk to the ground, Aether resting in Xiao's lap. The traveler's small hisses and groans as he was shifted had Xiao stilling.

"Where are your supplies, traveler?" He couldn't let his panic, or self-loathing, seep through. He had to exercise control over himself, as he always does.

"Too far..." Aether managed to grit out.

The rain was coming down harder, less than enjoyable now.

Xiao was silent. Contemplating. Liyue was too far off, as were any surrounding villages. His eyes searched the area as he ground his own teeth. What was he going to do? Hillichurls weren't exactly known for their doctoring skills. He couldn't possibly find something here, but he wouldn't make it to a nearby village in time.

His thoughts were dragged to a halt by a hand lifting to gently cup his cheek. His head was carefully turned, eyes returning to meet Aether's in confusion.

The traveler must have seen his chilled expression, and misread it entirely. His hand shrunk away, but Xiao quickly reached up to press that hand against his cheek.

Almost desperately.

"It's alright," his human said slowly, as if afraid that he might choke on his words.

"You humans... Get hurt too easily." Xiao did choke, though. A well of pain, long since forgotten, seemed to yawn open beneath his feet, sending him into a free fall.

A thumb flicked out, swiping beneath his eye. Was he crying? When had his grip on his emotions slip?

Aether chuckled, which caused him to take a heaving breath of air and cough violently. His chest shuddered, and Xiao knew there wasn't much time left.

"You'd be surprised," Aether said softly. Weakly.

Then his arm fell limp, and the eyes Xiao loved so much grew hazey. Xiao only gripped Aether's hand to him all the more, panic finally seeping in.

The traveler's chest rose, fell... Then grew still.

"...Aether?" He hadn't used the man's name often, but he'd treasured it nonetheless.

There was no response.

His face crumpled, pain etched into every line. Strands of green hair were plastered to his neck and forehead, and his clothes were soaked through, but he couldn't care less.

He lowered his head, and allowed the tears to fall freely as he silently wept.

He'd never told the human just how much he treasured their time together.

---

A/N: Yeah, I disappeared off the face of the earth, only to return and publish a demon smut book, and write Xiao x Aether pain. Sue me.