"Nom <3"

It was a very quiet Monday night. The lights were on in the quaint house and the tv droned on softly in the background.

Shane was partially asleep, almost entirely limp on the couch. Dark circles were smudged under his drooping eyes, and heavy bags accompanied them. He'd been taking up more than he could handle, juggling both his grueling, utterly boring workdays, and caring for the creature lounging at the foot of the couch. It caused him to lose even more sleep than he already was. He'd gotten a total of two hours of sleep.

Actually, that was quite generous.

His ruffled brown hair didn't bother him, not like it usually did when strands were sticking up in every direction. Neither did his half-dressed state. His shirt was on the floor somewhere, and his work jeans were unzipped. One shoe was still on his foot, and the other was completely bare. He'd gotten home and had stopped changing mid-way. He'd been too tired to finish it off.

Cornu, on the other hand, was enjoying Shane's partly dead situation. It was fiddling with one of his hands, admiring how small and fragile his fingers were compared to its own. It curled his fingers inwards, then stretched them outwards again, its large thumb pressing into the back of his hand gently. Little hums and incoherent grumbles slipped from it every now and then as it cataloged every vein and bone it could see or feel.

He was hesitant to admit it, but its gentle explorations were only helping in putting him to sleep. His head lulled to the side, resting against the cushions as his eyelids fell under the weight of his exhaustion.

They sat in peace, and he thought that maybe Cornu was being extra nice to him because it caught on to how drained he was. It still didn't understand that working long hours equates to sleepiness, or at least, that's what he thought. It didn't seem to understand just yet.

Maybe it was starting to?

He was sorely mistaken, though. Just as he was starting to drift off, the oddest sensation of something wet and warm encompassed his hand. He peeled his eyes open with much effort, looking down at Cornu with confusion.

...

...it had his hand in its mouth.

"Wuh-?" He asked dumbly.

Yellow eyes stared at him, clawing their way through his skull.

Nothing was going on behind those eyes.

And then he felt its teeth lightly clamp down on his wrist, and he started. He tugged on his arm, trying to remove his hand from the strange asshole that thought it was a snack. Thankfully, it released him, but its teeth scraped against his skin, and he didn't enjoy that. But it didn't cause any pain, and it didn't draw any blood. His hand was in one piece, and damp with disgusting, slimy saliva.

"Really? You tried to eat my hand?"

Cornu had chosen to bite the hand that fed it. Literally.

It just blinked slowly, lazily, as it stared at him.

"A-fek-shon," it said a bit roughly. It struggled to pronounce the word, but it was understandable enough for him to piece the word together.

'Affection.' A weird way of showing affection...

"You trying to chew on my hand was affect-" He cut himself off with a tired groan, throwing his head back and onto the couch cushion. "You know what, no questions. I'm done asking questions. Just..." He trailed off, waving his hands in vague motions.

It cocked its head to one side, somewhat confused. But its cute, tiny creature had accepted its affections, so it threw the confusion to the side, and instead smiled a horrific smile full of large, jagged teeth.

Cornu was happy.

Even though Shane was wiping his hand on his pant leg with mild disgust marring his features. Cornu was utterly thrilled that Shane hadn't panicked or denied its show of care. It couldn't have asked for anything less.