When Angels Fall

She'd been wandering the grounds of the mansion with her daughter, chattering lightly about anything that came to mind. Her wings shifted and stretched, begging to be put to use. She'd been in need of a fly as of recent but hasn't had the will to do so. She hadn't had the will to do much since one of her closest friends has drawn herself away from the people around her.

The sudden loss of those snarky comments, or the horribly timed jokes, left Halo feeling less than alright. It was as though her friend had died back on those battlefields.

Maybe she had.

Celeste had to pull her out of her thoughts more than once, always giving her a worried look. Of course, her daughter would know she wasn't doing the best. She didn't hide it very well, but then again, why would she? A lot of her other friends hadn't hidden their suffering, either.

"So, I was wondering what kind of-" She heard Celeste's voice, but it suddenly seemed so far away. As though they were being spoken in a cave, echoing off of each stalactite, and wedging themselves into every crevice, before reaching her ears.

"Mom?"

She didn't realize that the glow of her halo had darkened significantly, although not due to her train of thought. Its glimmer was dull, and the sun reflected off of its oddly metal-looking surface, which was clearer than it should be.

"Mom?" Celeste asked again. When had she stopped walking?

"What's wrong?"

What was wrong? An odd confusion swarmed her mind, her eyes lightning from blue to silver as she looked at Celeste. No, through Celeste. 

It was like she was seeing something, hearing something, that was just a little too far for her to grasp. There was another conversation taking place somewhere, and an odd feeling of numbness that encompassed her being.

"Halo-"

A white, searing hot, flash of pain scorched a path through her. It was so swift, so sudden, that all she could manage was a choked gasp as her knees gave out. Her wings spasmed behind her, and her hands tore at where her heart lay beneath her chest. It was the source of her agony, setting her body aflame as though she had been dropped within a river of lava. 

A thread within her stretched, pulling taut as it strained.

She didn't realize that she was crying, nor did she realize her daughter was shaking her shoulders, trying to get her attention; trying to figure out what was wrong.

Somewhere far away, a life she held very dear to her was withering away, and she could do nothing to help.

Please, she begged. Not you too. Don't leave-

The thread frayed, and her sobs turned into agonized wails. Gods, the pain was unbearable. 

And then it snapped.

Cracks spider-webbed through her halo as she fell limp.

An all-consuming blackness blanketed itself over her, leaving her cold and unfeeling as the pain slipped into nothingness.

Her counterpart had been killed, and Halo had felt her (un)life slip from her grasp.

Concerned voices walked her into unconsciousness, waving goodbye as she stepped over the threshold and into a quieter world.