It's Nothing Special, Just Being Clean

Rolf liked his cleanliness, but not because he received company from someone he grew fond of. It was because being in a clean environment put him in a healthy environment.

If he added a small vase of flowers to a table that was practically out of sight or tidied up the room a bit, it wasn't because he cared. He simply thought it was messy and needed a touch of life to it.

If he changes out those flowers every other day because they wither so quickly in Gehenna, well, it wasn't because his favorite patient visited. Why would it be? He just wanted to be consistent.

If he made sure to start alphabetizing his papers and filing them away in cabinets that were in better shape than the last, or buff out the dents in the metal slab on the lab half of the room, it was because he was disgusted with how it looked otherwise. Not because he wanted Alexei to think he was organized and not a table hater.

If he'd thrown random trinkets or objects that were lying around into a nearby closet to hide them out of sight, it wasn't because he was trying to make it easier for Alexei to get around, it was because it was an eyesore. Nothing more.

And if he continued to deny these facts to himself, nobody needed to know.

He sat down on a stool, releasing a breath he didn't need. If he waited for that familiar face to walk through the door every day, it wasn't because he missed him. He was just bored.

That was all.

Nothing more than that.