One Last Breath

[A/N: N O T   C A N O N]

<><><><>

It'd been two weeks since they lost Him. Two weeks since Mortimer took the reins, and Eric was put to rest.

Two weeks since he last saw Arthur's face.

Although, he supposed that wasn't entirely true. His lover appeared in his dreams, both good and bad. Some nights, he relived that horrifying moment. Others, he was snuggled up in bed beside the man, their limbs tangled as they cuddled and talked quietly.

There was nothing more painful than waking up with empty arms, and a throbbing heart. On the bad nights, he was driven from the bed and into the bathroom. On the better nights, he simply sat and cried, the promise ring on his finger burning.

But he never took it off.

After the first week, he began plotting. He spent less time around the base and disappeared into the nights, off to places unknown.

Caspian knew he was up to something, but Mortimer was sure he didn't expect that something to be this.

And he wouldn't find out what Mortimer was going to do until tomorrow.

Tonight, he prepared.

He padded throughout the base on silent feet, humming to himself softly. Not loud enough to wake the dead-asleep vampire in one of the other rooms.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.

His fingers curled around the knob of the armory door, and he pushed it open as carefully as he could. He stepped inside, red-lensed goggles making the room look as though it were from a shitty horror movie.

You make me happy when skies are grey.

Except nothing frightened him in this room. Not even the explosives, big and small, that he shoved into a black satchel with care.

You'll never know, dear, how much I love you...

He knew it was reckless. Everything in him was screaming at him to stop. Listen. Think about this...

But Mortimer shoved those noisy parts down and continued.

Please don't take my sunshine away.

His head was the clearest it'd been since Arthur was stripped of his life. His resolve was strong, and he was determined to pull this off.

The other night, dear, as I lay sleeping.

He didn't know what he would do if he failed.

Probably nothing.

I dreamed I held you in my arms.

He released a breath, adjusting the cloth mask that hid his face. He'll be taking it off for the last time, soon enough.

When I awoke, dear, I was mistaken...

He left the room, not bothering to close the door behind him as he walked. He paused outside of Caspian's door, listening to the other snore softly for a moment. He tucked the peaceful sound away, the ghost of a smile gracing his face. It was small, and it was sad.

So I hung my head and I cried.

"Goodnight, brother," he whispered hoarsely one last time.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.

The villain made his way to the exit, taking long strides to get there. Memories flickered by as he reminisced every moment spent alongside his friends, his family, and his beautiful Arthur.

You make me happy when skies are grey.

Time crawled by at a snail's pace as his smile grew more relaxed. His bloodshot eyes softened and crinkled at the corners. Silver lined them, but he won't spend another moment crying.

You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.

He reached for the knob, hesitating for a single moment. He swore he could hear Arthur pleading for him to turn around, to talk things over with Caspian, to not do this.

But he released a breath and took one last look at the hall. Then, with a silent goodbye, he tugged the door open and stepped outside.

Please don't take-

For the last time, he had touched that door.

-my sunshine-

And for the last time, he took one final, clear breath.

-away.