World So Cold

The fire that burned through their veins like molten lava had frozen over. Ice bloomed within them, their fingertips almost looking bruised from the blue that tinted them.

Their body shivered violently, and a biting pain made their tears fall faster. They rocked themself, their knees pulled tightly against their chest, and their wings draped over their body.

They were so cold, so afraid...

Sometimes this happened. Instead of their emotions malfunctioning, or their body launching into a fit of hysterics, their magic misbehaved.

On a good day, it flares up, becoming unpredictable.

On a bad day, it burns and burns, eating away at their insides until they scream and cry.

On a worse day, it disappears completely, dunking them in icy water.

Those days are never fun. They were too used to the warmth that their magic provided them, too used to the comforting crackling of embers.

Their ever-changing eyes stared at the ground, unseeing as they whimpered. Their gray hair cascaded down their back and over their shoulders, messy and wilder than usual. It spilled out around them on the ground, a few long strands even hanging limply in front of their face, but their sight was unobstructed.

Not that they were seeing anything.

Their already shallow breaths quickened as their body only grew colder. "H... Help," they whispered pleadingly. "Help us... Make it stop. Too cold..."

A violent shiver had them curling further in on themself, and they choked. "Please... Please-" They begged desperately. There was no one around to help them through this, no fire to warm them, and no words to comfort them.

Accord cried softly into their knees, continuing to rock themself back and forth as they tried, and failed, to absorb their body heat.

They didn't produce much heat without their magic...