When Darkness Rises

(WARNING! Includes violence, possible gore, and death. Enjoy.)

War raged around her. Grunts and screams sounded, the shrieking of metal against metal accompanying them. Bodies littered the ground everywhere she looked. It was absolute chaos, but she had to push on.

The enemy forces were gaining ground, and she was one of many trying to prevent them from getting any further. But their numbers were depleting.

She tapped into her magic, dragging up a small amount of the warmth within her. She shifted her arms, waving them about in slow, elegant movements as her magic manifested as large, golden orbs that floated around her. One by one, as she flicked her wrist, they began flying at the enemy forces ahead of her. They emanated such a cozy, comforting warmth, yet when they hit, they brought sounds of sizzling. The metal plates of armor were melted upon impact, encasing it's wearer's in the magma-like liquid it had become. 

More screaming filled the air.

Azure felt no remorse for these creature, no guilt for the many greedy murderers she was pitted against. They were a threat to her home, her friends, her love. 

Light flashed as she continued her assault on the creatures before her, small, luminescent, sharply-tipped shards joining her ensemble of magic-based attacks.

She began to move forwards, one foot after the other, into the hoard. She began to focus her attacks more so in front of her and around her. She would keep pushing. Her staff was being swung left and right to deflect incoming attacks that slipped through. The crackling of the bark was the only thing that she heard, now. She had to stick it out. She needed to get just a little bit further.

She was dropping down into her well of magic, the light dripping out of ever pore of her body as she continued onwards. She released bouts of energy in the form of blindingly bright beams at anyone that had gotten too close. She was depleting her energy, but she didn't care. She wouldn't give up.

Not this time.

She was muttering spells and incantations of all sorts under her breath, sweat beading on her forehead. She would no longer hold back. She would release it all. She would give up everything for those of whom she cared for. 

Azure felt a sharp pain in her side that had her stumbling and falling to her knees with a gasp. Someone had landed a blow on her. She twisted her head, looking up at her assailant with defiant, golden-glowing eyes. Symbols of all sorts matching the color of her eyes began to swim and float about around her. The orcish creature did not seem afraid.

But afraid he should have been, for she was preparing for her final act of wrath upon this army. 

She pushed herself back to her feet as she swung the wooden staff at the orc, their grayish-green face morphing into a look of anger. The tips of her hair had begun to float and sway, gravity having no affect on them. 

She managed to land a blow to their helmeted head, a loud CLANG sounding out. While they were recovering from the shock of the blow, she flicked one of the remaining orbs at him. A breeze brushed past her as her feet lifted from the ground. Her staff hit the rough soil with a light thump. Her once entirely blue uniform was covered in either mud or blood. Her own and those she has downed. Her hair now floated around her head as if she were underwater. 

Her arms were held out at her sides as she ground out her last incantation, eyeing every soul around her.

"Je fais ce sacrifice à la fois pour la lumière et pour l'obscurité; Les jeunes et les vieux." The words rang out like a death knell. They held a grim finality to them. Quietly, though, she whispered to the world. "I'm sorry."

The response was almost immediate. Magnificently bright magic exploded around her, encompassing the forces of both sides that surrounded her. A searing pain was met by either side before they were reduced to ashes floating on the wind.

"May you win this war." Were her final words before she, too, had been incinerated.

Once the upturned dirt and ash cleared enough for others to see what had happened, they found that the mysterious blast had taken out a large chunk of the opposing army. 

Azure had done her job well.

She may finally join her sister.