More Xiao x Aether Moments

There, in a clearing just below a tree, sat two beings. One, bandaged and unconscious, was propped up against the tree, while the other worried the end of his lengthy, golden braid from beside him.

Aether looked out at the rising mountains around them, thoughts wandering. What if he hadn't done a good enough job? What if he had worked too slowly? What if-

This continued on until his ears picked up the slightest sounds of movement behind him.

Then Xiao made a noise that was a mixture between a hiss and a grunt.

Aether moved swiftly, twisting himself around to face the Yaksha. As expected, Xiao was already preparing to stand up. The traveler just placed his hands on the man's shoulders, scowling.

"Stay seated," he said carefully. "You're hurt pretty badly. I don't think you should be getting up just yet..."

"I'm fine," he said a bit gruffly, his voice gravelly from being out for so long. But he seemed to be too tired to put up much more of a fight. That, and achy, but Aether knew he'd never admit it.

He lifted his hands from Xiao's shoulders, reaching off to his right to fetch a small handful the many berries he'd gone out of his way to pick while his companion was unconscious. There hadn't been any sunsettias, or apples, growing in the area, and berries were very common... So he hadn't seen any harm in getting any. They were very good, too. Sweet and juicy. He held the berries out to Xiao in an offering.

"It isn't almond tofu, but- ehm... I hope you'll enjoy them." He said a bit nervously. He really didn't know if he'd be turned down. If he was, well- He might have to berry himself in the deepest hole he could find out of pure embarrassment.

But, to his surprise, the green-haired man just... Plucked a berry out of his hand, skin brushing against his own for the quickest moment (he may have gone a tad pink in the ears. so what if he has a slight thing for small, angsty, demon hunters?). Xiao then proceeded to pop it into his mouth, taking a moment to savor the juices that set his nerves tingling with happiness. Something else he wouldn't admit.

"Too sweet," he commented.

Aether just released a sigh of relief, a small chuckle leaving with it. "Well, it's all we have right now."

He lifted his hand, reaching for another, when a twinge in his arm had him wincing and dropping it.

"Do you need help?" His favorite traveler asked, concern flitting across the handsome plains of his face.

"No." He didn't need help.

That earned him an eyeroll. The golden-eyed man pinched a berry between his fingers gently before guiding it towards Xiao, who promptly leaned away from the intruding hand.

"What are you-" He was interrupted by a berry being slipped between his lips.

Oh.

Apparently, the traveler was absolutely oblivious to the implications behind feeding another person like this.

But Xiao began to chew slowly, looking for all the world like he'd been offended by the simple action of being fed.

"What? Did I get dirt on it?" Aether tilted his head slightly, and the Yaksha couldn't help but compare him to a confused, and mildly concerned, golden retriever.

"...No." He said a bit hesitantly. He should really leave. There were more demons to expel, and he really didn't have any time to be enjoying the sunset while the traveler fed him berries...

But his body ached, and he couldn't bring himself to get up. He was afraid it might shatter this... Delicate moment.

Ah... Well... He could always hold onto his pride in other ways. Just because the other man fed him by hand, it didn't mean he had to like it.

"Good! Would you like more? I know they aren't the most filling, and we have plenty."

Oh. What should he say?

Nothing. Say nothing.

"I... Suppose it wouldn't hurt."

That wasn't nothing, the voice in the back of his head muttered.

Indeed it wasn't. It was everything to him.