Just a Bad Dream

She snapped awake. Her body was moving of its own volition, and she quickly learned she wasn't in control of it. Panic raked its claws against the inner walls of her chest, and fear gently wrapped its knuckles against her skull, announcing the arrival of dinner.

Voices, which had been chatting lazily and quietly every now and then, spiked in volume as she writhed and squirmed for control. They were muffled by the ringing of- Well, she couldn't say her ears, but she still caught small tidbits of the words thrown her way.

"...nary...alm...down!"

Why'd that voice sound so familiar? Was that her mother? No. It couldn't be. Her mother had disowned her.

...she...an't... Another voice was speaking.

"Rowan!" The first one shouted. The ringing was slowly fading away, giving birth to a new headache that was Reaper calling her name a bit too loudly.

Her struggles immediately halted. She blinked her metaphorical eyes, trying to calm herself from her sudden panicking.

...I'm sorry.

"Shit, girl. You scared us. Everything okay?"

Another bad dream?

She gave a reluctant hum.

Would you like to talk about it?

...not right now.

"That's a'right. Let's get you some-"

Coffee?

"Yep!"

You're the best, Reaper.

"Hah! Hear that, Angel? She said I'm the best."

The feelings of fear hadn't slipped away entirely, still feeding her remnants of her nightmare. But she was coming back to herself.

This isn't a competition, Reaper.

"You're right. Because I've already won."

The wink was more than just heard in those words. The both of them could feel it.

You're both the best, she decided to come in with. She wanted to keep the two from bickering.

"Aw man..."

A smug laugh echoed within the confines of their shared mind.

Angel's laughing again.

"Yep."