•87•

August

"Right here sir?"

Looking up from my iPad, I nodded at one of the workers as they set up for Nai's neon skate party.

"Yeah man, that's good."

As much as we didn't want to go all out, we still ended up doing just that. Her likes were changing constantly and we knew it was part to do with her being a creative and we didn't mind. When she came to us with the idea, of course her mother was on go and excited, leaving me to be the level minded on out of the three of us.

"Make sure all those glow sticks are in the freezer."

"Yes Mr. Alsina." Another worker added.

Walking around, looking at the initial set up, I was proud to see my daughter's vision come to life. Between her and Misty, they did their thing.

"Mr. Alsina, I need your signature please."

Turning around, I smiled at Josanne, the owner of the venue.

"I got you." I took the pen.

Reading over everything before signing it, I agreed on the terms and signed off on the document. Taking my copy, I gave her back hers. As I folded it, the sound of my daughter calling me came ringing through the hall.

"Dad!"

"Naima Melody." I said simply.

"Time to go get my outfit."

"Yes boss." I laughed. "Whea yuh momma at?"

"Cleaning my brother and the backseat."

"The backseat? What happened?"

"He threw a fit and spilled his juice and snack."

Sighing, I shook my head. I knew Misty was pissed without Nai telling me. We didn't know what it was but our son had apparently started his terrible twos early. We never had these kind of issues with Naima so it was new to us and frustrating. Heading out of the building, he sat in his stroller while Misty was cleaning.

"Sweet face." I called.

Looking back at me, she sighed. Approaching her, I took the cloth she had in her hand.

"I'll finish up love." I kissed her. "Go wash your hands and calm down."

"Thank you."

Glancing at August, I shook my head. He sat there as if nothing happened. Looking up at me, he smiled.

"I ain't smiling witchu. Keep throwing them tantrums, you gonna experience whoopings early." I told him.

"Dad you'll really whoop him?"

"I whoop you?"

"Yeah."

"Exactly. We love y'all but we ain't gonna let y'all embarrass us when we work hard to provide for y'all."

"True."

"Neither you nor your brother have any reason to act out of pocket. Y'all are healthy and well taken care of. The same way we encourage you to speak your mind and feelings out in a proper manner, we're doing with him so it's no reason for y'all to throw tantrums. If we say no for something, then the answer is no. Y'all aren't always gonna get what you want in life from us or anyone and y'all gotta understand that."

"You're right."

"Good. Now fold up the wheels and put him back in."

"Okay. Here comes momma." She nodded.