•65•

August

“Where the hell is Nai?” I whispered to myself.

Seeing the lights dim, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. Shifting in my seat, as I got it out, I heard Dajah speak.

“Is that Nai?”

Hearing that along with whispers from around us, I instantly put my attention on the stage. In complete shock, my eyes widened as I saw my daughter there dressed in her mother’s costume.

“What the hell?” I whispered.

“Did you know about this?” My mother asked as the music began.

“No.” I kept my attention on stage.

Scanning the other dancers, I found Misty as she danced in the background.

“I can't believe she is up there.” I heard from maw.

“Me either.” I spoke as I smiled.

Nai was in a zone just like her mother. This is the first time seeing her so deep in it and I knew she did it to prove that she had what it takes.

Looking to both sides of me, everyone but myself was recording this moment but I didn't care. I was too focus on actually seeing her.

“That’s it Sweetpea.” I whispered.

“She's so amazing.”

Think about who wasn't here, I remembered Cha and did a quick video and sent it to her.

“: Check out ya Goddaughter making ha debut.”

Hitting send, I went back to looking at the stage. As they performed, my phone went off again.

“Cha Cha Cha: Oh my God!!! Aug are you serious? Now I'm mad we had to miss this😩”

Laughing I just shook my head. It was unfortunate that they couldn't be here honestly but having to deal with my nieces Kay and Destiny in the same university was a trip.

“: Serious like a heart attack😂. Shit I didn't even know till I seen ha up thea but no worries we’a see ya back in Houston.”

Not too long after her reply came in.

“Cha Cha Cha: Call me when ya go backstage, I need to talk to her and you need ta talk ta Kayden and Destiny😒”

Seeing that I just sighed. Those two stay getting into trouble together from ever since but I was proud of then having each other’s backs. Replying with a simple ok, I just refocused my energy on the stage and enjoyed this proud moment that was happening.

~•~

Coming to an end, everyone stood and applauded as the curtains came to a close.

“Aug are you crying?” Maggie asked.

“Fuck yea I am. My baybeh just killed that performance like ha momma.” I clapped.

Taking back our seats, all the dancers came back out on stage the followed by Misty, Nai and Marcelo. As usual, when its the last show, the director would come out and thank everyone for their support and thank the dancers as well. Once she was finished, she handed Misty the mic.

“I know a lot of y'all probably confused when we began the second half so to clear it up, can we give a hand for my amazingly talented daughter.”

When she said that, the audience gave Nai a standing ovation as she blushed before stepping forward and taking a bow.

“Also, this would mean a lot to me if you can join in with myself and the rest of the dancers as we sing happy birthday to her. Twelve years ago today, she surprised me with her birth as I didn't know I was pregnant but she was the best gift I could have ever ask for, after meeting her father.”