•52•

Jayda

“I really need y'all to be one y'all best behaviors over the next couple days.”

“We will Jay, relax.”

“You of all people too. You know Mrs. Misty is pregnant so I don't want you getting into any kind of trouble.”

Sitting with my brother and sister, I went over for the umpteenth time the rules for when I'm away.

As excited as I was for this Mexico trip, I was nervous leaving them to be other people responsibility.

“Maybe I should just let y'all stay with LJ’s mom instead.”

“Come on Jay.” Jelani protested.

“We promise we will behave.”

“Fine. But I swear, if I get one bad report about you two, I'm taking away y'all allowances and phones.”

“You ain't taking my stuff.” I heard Day mumbled.

“Its that back talking I'm talking about.” I pointed at her.

“I'm really reaching my point with your attitude Dajah.”

“Sorry.” She mumbled.

“Just go finish packing.”

As they got up and left, I looked over at Malik who was wrapped up in all the cushions on the couch.

“You tryna play hide and seek with mommy.” I tickled him.

“I gotta get you cleaned up and fed before taking you to your grandmother.” I kissed him.

Getting up, I walked a little way before looking back at him.

“Come on bub.” I called him.

Giving me a smile, he shuffled through the cushions and climbed down the couch before coming over to me.

“Very good babe. Now take my hand.”

Stretching out my hand, he looked at it then at me. Lifting his, he said up.”

“Nope. We gotta walk.” I shook my head.

Setting up his face, he began to fret then dropped himself on the floor. Sitting there, he looked up at me.

“Well that's you.” I shrugged and walked off.

Hearing his fretting, I glanced back to see him getting up and coming after me. Once he met up with me, I got his bath ready before changing him.

“You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy, when skies are grey.”

Singing to him while I gave him his bath, he smiled and clapped along.

“Jay?”

Putting my attention on the door, Jelani stood there.

“Yea.”

“Is it cool if I get dinner started?”

“Thank you.” I smiled.

“Spaghetti right?”

“Yup.”

“Cool.”

“Your uncle is growing up huh.” I smiled at Malik.

Despite their sometimeish attitudes, I was honestly proud of my brother and sister. This was a tough year for us without our mother but the didn't let it break them.

One of the main reasons why I wanted to go on this trip was because my mother’s death anniversary was coming up. I wanted to just be away from all my responsibilities and be a teen again.