After Far From Home

Börja om från början

The way Peter had never fought back - not because he was too weak, but because he was too strong.

He looked back down at the formal note that had been posted through his door, inviting him to a press conference.

Flash couldn't believe it.

But he knew it was true.

Ned took deep breaths, trying his best to stay calm for Peter. Pepper Potts-Stark had phoned him earlier, and told him exactly what to do and what not to do at the press conference. He was sat in the car outside now. It hadn't taken much convincing to get his mum to drive him there - Peter was like a second son to her, and besides, she would never turn down such a great opportunity for gossip.

"I suppose we should go in," he said shakily. She gave him a worried look.

"Are you sure? There are going to be a lot of people accusing Peter."

"That's exactly why I need to be there."

"I know, honey. The very idea of him being Spiderman... this is all a big mistake."

"Yes, mom."

They entered the conference hall, and were shepherded over to an area for witnesses, where several of Ned's classmates were. Including, Ned noticed with a groan, Eugene Thompson, but not Peter. 

"Uh, I just need to use the restroom," he told anyone who was listening, then he bumbled past the guards and snuck into the backstage area. It didn't take him long to find Peter, talking to Mrs Potts-Stark and Happy.

"Remember, they can't prove anything. You've done nothing wrong, and we're going to clear your name, and Spider-Man's. Maybe not today, but we will."

Ned waved awkwardly. "Uh, hi. I came to see how Peter was doing?"

"Of course. You two should probably head back into the hall, it should be starting any minute."

Peter was quiet and seemingly calm on the walk back. Ned knew his friend well enough to know that this meant he was extremely nervous.

"It'll be fine," he said, not very convincingly.

"I know," Peter said in the same tone.

As soon as Peter came into the room, there was a hush. He had deliberately chosen his nerdiest, baggiest top, paired with a shapeless hoodie and loose jeans to make him as un-Spider-Man-like as possible. Even so, those who didn't already know him recognised his face from the news, and everybody stared. He shrank, exaggerating his nerves like the innocent high schooler he was, and did his best to blend in with the crowd of his peers.

Ned, bless him, slipped into his role immediately.

"Are you actually Spiderman? I mean, that would be so cool! Clearly you're not evil, but-"

"I wish, but Ned, you've been with me when we saw Spiderman loads of times."

Ned looked disappointed. "Oh, yeah. Still..."

"So it's false, that you're him?" Abe asked, Cindy and Sally behind him.

"Yeah. I just can't believe Spider-man would do something so... evil?"

"But if Mysterio was the good guy, why would he frame you, Peter?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out."

"And why Peter? He's not even believable - no offence Peter, but you're nothing like Spider-man!"

"Look, I think it's starting!"