Time machine

Request by @endirgirl . Enjoy!

Peter double checked his notebook, then began fusing the wires into the right places. Once he'd finished college, he'd agreed to take over Stark Industries when Pepper retired, on the sole condition that he'd relinquish it immediately to Morgan in a few years when she was old enough to run it herself. He'd continued Mr Stark's campaign for clean energy, and was even working on ways of reducing need for energy altogether. For example, the prototype he was building right now was for a teleportation device. If he could get it working, this could revolutionise world travel. No need for planes and their fumes, transportation could be efficient, immediate, and completely clean.

Peter frowned down at his notes. Something was off... He looked back at the wires he'd just fixed in place, just as they sparked, and exploded. 

The world went black.

Peter slowly came around to the lovely sensation of being poked. At first glance, he was still in his lab, the wrecked remains of his teleportation device in front of him, and for a moment he thought he'd managed to get away with it unscathed. Then he saw who was poking him, and sat bolt upright. 

"Am I dead?" He asked frantically. "I can't be dead, I promised Pepper I'd visit tonight."

"Pepper?" Tony Stark asked him. "Who are you and how do you know Pepper?"

Peter blinked. His voice... He'd forgotten the way his voice sounded. He closed his eyes to hold back tears as he slowly stood up.

"Answer me!" Tony demanded. "Why would you think that you're dead? Where did you even come from? Did Happy let you in?"

"Happy?" Peter couldn't be dead, because Happy was still alive. Right? He looked around the lab with dawning horror. It was the same room, yes, but it wasn't his lab. Not anymore. Or should he say, not yet? Because there was DUM-E in the corner, and on the desk were the blueprints and a prototype for a miniaturised arc reactor. Those things had been on the market for years. Or at least, they had been a minute ago.

Peter rubbed his head as the truth sank in. "Mr Stark?" He asked quietly.

"That's my name, y- wait. You sound like that kid, what was his name? The spiderling, crime-fighting spider..."

"Spider-Man," Peter sighed. Tony's eyes widened. 

"You can't be..."

"I'm Peter Parker, Mr Stark. I know you've probably only just met younger me, but...  you were like a father to me."

"Were? Does that mean... oh, kid."

Unable to restrain himself any more, Peter rushed over and hugged Mr Stark. The man was a bit awkward, and it felt different to how it used to as obviously Peter had grown taller over the years, but it was still nice. Peter had to blink to stop the tears from falling.

"Wh...when?" Tony asked hesitantly. He could see that Peter was a lot older, but it could have been ages since he died. Hopefully it wasn't soon, as he still barely knew the kid, in fact he'd only met him a month ago, so they wouldn't have the connection that Peter was talking about for a long while. Hopefully.

"I probably shouldn't tell you," Peter winced. "What year even is it, anyway?"

"Don't you know?" Tony asked, crouching to look at the smoking machine. "Didn't you build this time machine?"

"I built it, but it wasn't supposed to be a time machine," Peter laughed nervously. "One of those already- actually, I probably shouldn't tell you that either. I don't even know if it's taken me back in time, or shunted me to a different reality entirely. I do know that if it is a time machine, it works completely differently to the one you design- uhm."