Train

Requested by @GloriousPurpose1 (ages ago, sorry ;-;)

Peter hurt like he'd been run over by a train. Which, to be fair, he just had, so it wasn't the best comparison. But he had just been run over by a train, so he could be forgiven for not thinking of amazing similes for the amount of pain he was in. Damaged fingers clawed at the side of the speeding vehicle, and Peter used every last part of his stickiness to haul himself up. All he wanted to do was pass out, but he needed to get inside. Needed to warn... needed... Somehow, he slid the door open and collapsed into the train, crawled to an empty seat and instantly lost consciousness.

The whole class stared at the black-suited boy who had just crawled, bleeding and broken, into their train carriage. He looked familiar, but none of them wanted to believe it. Because if that was Peter, Peter was Night Monkey, so Night Monkey was Spider-Man and that meant Spider-Man was dying in front of them on a train in Europe. After a moment of dreadful silence, Ned jumped into action, cradling Peter's heading his lap as he searched for the source of the injuries. "Wake up, Peter. C'mon, buddy, you've gotta stay with me." Peter didn't stir.

MJ came forward slowly, then very quickly. "What can I do?"

"We need him awake. Peter, wake up!"

"Parker, get up," MJ joined in. Slowly, Peter began to rouse, blinking and grimacing.

"Ned? MJ?" He croaked.

"We're here, we've got you. What happened?"

"Um..." Peter winced as he moved into a sort-of-sitting position. "Mysterio. He's evil, he- he's using Stark tech, illusions, EDITH - the monsters were all fake, Beck's doing it for publicity, he wants to be the next Iron Man- I need to-"

"You're staying right here," MJ told him in a no-nonsense way. "What happened to you?"

"Mysterio, um.... He threw me around a building site then I got run over by a train."

"...this train?"

"Yeah," Peter nodded slowly. "Not fun. 10/10 would not recommend." His head drooped, eyes drifting closed.

"Nope, stay awake. We need to plan your next move, right?" Ned patted Peter's cheek lightly to keep him awake.

Peter chuckled drowsily. "Mm... You're probably an illusion too. Everything's just... a trick. Not real." Ned and MJ exchanged a worried glance while the rest of the class and their two teachers looked on, horrified.

"Does anyone have food?" MJ suddenly turned to them, and everybody startled out of their reverie and started fumbling with backpacks. Betty produced a snack bar first and threw it to MJ, who handed it to Peter. "Eat."

Peter devoured it, and seemed to gain some awareness of his surroundings. He blinked at his class, then buried his head in his hands. "Just an illusion.... nope. Not real. No? Okay." He took a few deep breaths, then his face became decisive. "My phone's definitely bugged, and even if it wasn't..." he pulled it out of his pocket and frowned at the mangled mess of technology. "Well. Ned, can I borrow yours?"

"Sure," Ned unlocked it and handed it over. "Why?"

"I'm going to call Happy. I need backup." He dialled a number, biting his lip as he waited. The relieved expression he wore when 'Happy' picked up was heartbreaking. "Happy, it's me- yeah- Mysterio's a fake, he has EDITH, he's going to attack London- I know, I- no! Well, I might need some stitches-" he pulled the phone away from his ear and the faint sounds of yelling were heard from the tiny speakers. "I might have been run over by a train." A long pause where more yelling could be heard. "I'm on the train now. We're going to- um, where are we?" He looked up at the class.

"We'll be near Broek op Langedijk in twenty minutes," Mr Harrington said automatically. Peter relayed this information to whoever was on the phone, then hung up and handed the phone back. "Peter..." The teacher started, but seemed unsure what else to say.

"I know," Peter said with a sigh. "Is that my bag? I need to get changed out of this suit."

While Ned helped Peter out of the carriage and into the toilet cubicle to change in privacy, MJ turned to face her classmates, glaring at each one in turn. "Nobody mentions this. Ever. Got it?"