Threats

"Who was that?"

"Hello to you too, Rogers," Tony muttered with no more than a cursory glance in his direction.

"I heard you speaking to someone just now." Steve looked at the door which was still swaying slightly. Clearly the person had just left the room. "I need to know who, Tony. It's a matter of security - only Avengers should be allowed in here."

"It's my building, anyone I want is allowed in here and it's none of your business."

"This is an Avengers facility and as the leader-"

"Leader? Captain, you're barely not a war criminal anymore and you think you're qualified to run a team of superheroes?"

"What, like you are?"

"Shockingly not everything in the world is about me, Steve. But this building most certainly is, seeing as I paid for it and had it built. I let you stay here, but don't go poking into things that don't concern you."

"The way you're acting does concern me, Tony. We're meant to be a team-"

"Ha! No, that doesn't even deserve a response. I'll tell you this once, Steve, and only once. Anyone in this building who is not an Avenger is none of your business, and it would be in your best interests to stay away from them."

"Are you threatening me?"

"Consider it a warning."

~

"I think Stark called him an intern?"

Steve walked into the common room in the middle of a conversation between Wanda and Sam.

"I keep seeing him everywhere, in places no kid has a right to be."

"Who?" Steve asked.

"Have you not seen him? Teenager, about yea high, brown hair, wanders around like he owns the place."

"No," Steve shook his head, mind going to the argument he'd had with Tony a few days ago. Was this the person he'd been speaking to before Steve entered the room? "Did you say he's an intern?"

"That's what Stark says. Claims the kid is his personal assistant and he wanted him to get the full experience. Nobody actually talked to him yet, and no-one's seen him and Stark in the same room."

"FRIDAY?"

"Yes, Sam?"

"Can you tell me more about Tony's intern?"

"That information is classified. I would recommend for your own safety that you do not pry into this matter."

"...Was that a threat?" Sam asked incredulously. "You guys heard that, right?"

"Stark must be pretty protective of this 'intern', huh?"

~

The threats only became more obvious as time progressed. According to Stark, the less Steve knew about anything that didn't directly involve him, the better. One day he dared to ask about Spider-Man and if he would be joining the team. When that was met with a sharp no, he inquired about where Tony had found the young hero he'd brought to the airport skirmish.

Tony fixed him with a cool glare that almost made Steve wish for the ice they'd fished him out of.

"If you like your pretty face the way it is, I'd suggest you leave Spider-Man alone, Captain."

~

Or if he mentioned Stark's elusive intern in conversation and questioned if he would ever meet the kid: