Ghost Peter (4)

Peter woke to the soft glow of candlelight. He was in the Starks' living room. A large ouija board was set up on the floor and Mr Stark was on the couch, reading from an instruction booklet as Pepper lit candles around the room.

Peter moved towards the ouija board. It was wooden with a velvet base - of course mr Stark had gone all out - and the letters around the edge shone in the firelight. Focussing hard on making his finger solid, Peter reached for the spinner in the middle of the board. The moment he touched it, it spun wildly around, making a loud clatter. Pepper jumped and Morgan clapped excitedly. Peter was surprised - the ouija board has responded so easily, like he was actual flesh and blood. He reached out again, this time not putting any effort into the action. The needle stopped suddenly at his touch.

Maybe there was something to ouija boards after all. He could feel the soft velvet beneath his fingers - really feel it. It was amazing.

"Hello?" Said Pepper shakily. "Are you there? Can you hear me?"

Peter moved the needle to Y, paused until Tony had written it down on a notebook he had ready, then moved to E, then S. Megan squealed excitedly.

"Yes! He said yes!"

"Are you a he?"

"Tony!"

"What? I don't want to misgender it! We'll ask the textbook questions in a moment."

Y E S

"I knew it!" Morgan cried. "See, I told you!"

"What does it say to ask in the book, Tony?"

"The most important question is whether the spirit is malignant or means harm, as this can pose danger to- look, it's moving!"

N O

Peter was a little disappointed that there wasn't an exclamation mark or sad face emoji for him to point at.

"Okay, next... do you have unfinished business?"

I D K

"What does that mean? Has it stopped working?!"

I D O N T K N O W

"Was it..."

H E

"Was he using abbreviations? Like text speak?"

"Oh, forget the book. How old are you?"

Peter wasn't sure, so he just flicked the dial so it span in a circle, clicking loudly.

"Does that mean he's not sure? Do you know how old you were when you... died?"

"Pepper! It says not to mention their death!"

S I X T E E N

"Look, honey, he was just a child!"

"Sixteen..." Tony said distantly, eyes unfocused. "Do- did we kn-"

"Do you like me?" Morgan asked anxiously.

O F C O U R S E

Morgan beamed. Pepper looked over Tony's shoulder at the book. "Do you have a personal connection to any of us?"

Y E S

Peter wished they would get on with it.

"Do you know my name?"

P E P P E R

Tony swallower audibly, with a glance towards the kitchen and a photograph that was out of view.

Y E S T O N Y

"I... What's your name?"

P E T E R P A R K E R

Tony burst into tears, shoulders heaving up and down. "Peter...."

I M S O R R Y

"Don't apologise, Peter! What happened? Why didn't you come back?" Pepper rubbed Tony's back.

P A I N T O O M U C H
I D I E D
I M S O R R Y

Morgan looked bewildered. "Daddy knows my friend?"

"Is there anything we can do for you?"

N O

"Is there anything you need to say?"

N A T A S H A I S O K
T E L L C L I N T

"Is everyone a ghost, then? Is your family there?"

N O

"Why are you still here, Peter?"

I D I D N T W A N T T O G O

Mr Stark started crying anew. "Oh god, Peter, I miss you."

I M I S S Y O U T O O