The Spider (1)

So... I promise I first wrote down this concept before What If was a thing, but it kinda... well it kinda gives off the same vibes. Enjoy!

Peter had a problem. A girl in his class, Cindy Moon, was convinced that he was secretly the crime fighting vigilante hero of Queens, and wouldn't rest until she'd proved it.

There was just one issue - he wasn't.

Peter Parker has a secret, that nobody knows yet.

In the daytime, he was just a normal boy with a normal life. But at night, he became the Spider, notorious supervillain of Queens.

He had powers - freakish spider powers he'd gotten just before his Aunt had died in front of his eyes. The city had been under attack and the so-called 'heroes' had left so much wreckage in their wake that it took Peter twenty minutes to find May's body underneath the rubble.

He'd screamed at the sky. His Uncle Ben had been devastated, had mourned. Had begun to drink. He was either at work, at the pub or unconscious at home. Peter couldn't blame him - after all, he'd dealt with his own grief by becoming a villain. By lying and stealing and fighting. He didn't need any of it, but he relished the feeling of power it gave him to undermine the heroes of this city. To see fear in the eyes of others. He hoped that maybe someday, that would be enough to fill the hole of helplessness that had filled him as he watched the building crash on top of his beloved aunt.

His suit was black, like any supervillain's, with bloodred web patterns up the arms and legs. And, as the best villain in Queens, he had his very own superhero nemesis. Of course, he fought other heroes, and Iron Lad fought other villains, but their fights were different. More intense. Personal.

Peter didn't know who Iron Lad was. Nobody did - the mystery of his identity was only rivalled by that of the Spider's. And Peter had done plenty of research, but all he knew was that the hero had first appeared wearing a ski mask and some home-made gadgets and saving civilians from street-level criminals. When the Avengers had almost torn each other apart in Germany, Iron Lad had been hired by Tony Stark to fight with him. He'd been upgraded and returned to Queens with a new sense of self-importance, thinking he could take on the Spider. Well, he'd failed. And had been failing ever since.

But it was only a matter of time until Peter made a mistake. So he needed to know the identity of his nemesis, so he could have something to hold over the hero. Everybody had a price. Peter had learnt at a young age that ideals of loyalty and heroism never stood for long when faced with money. For the more righteous, secret identities were just as effective.

Everything was going just fine. The great thing about being a villain was that Peter got to pick and choose when to be the Spider, meaning he could do homework in his own time. School was great grade-wise and whilst you'd think a villainous personality would make you unpopular, Peter actually had a few friends, the closest being Ned. Luckily, Ned was oblivious enough not to catch any of Peter's early slips, and as he got better, Peter kept his identity under so many wraps that sometimes even he doubted if he could possibly be a villain.

There was just one issue. Cindy beamed at him from across the classroom with a wink. Peter sighed and buried his head in his hands. It had all started a month ago...

It was the end of biology, and everybody was leaving drowsily. Peter had vaguely noticed his classmate Clare or whatever her name was watching him. In fact, she'd been watching him for the past week, if not more. He would have passed it off as nothing, but now she was heading towards him with a small smirk. She brushed past him, standing on tiptoe briefly to whisper in his ear. "I know your secret." Peter couldn't help his eyes from widening. 'Meet me after school,' she mouthed as she disappeared into the crowd.