Partner

whoosh

"Hey Spidey, how's it hanging?" Came the now-familiar voice as a figure in pale blue suit with white geometric designs and eye lenses similar to his own did a flip and landed beside Spidey. Despite telling himself over and over that she was an inconvenience, he couldn't hold back the smile that her cheerful tone induced.

Nope. Nopenope nopeity nope.

"Spider-girl," he greeted her. 

She tried to smack him, but he predicted it and dodged.

"It's Ghost and you know it!" She told him, annoyed. He shrugged, mask hiding his smirk. 

"Why'd you copy my suit, then?"

"I did not-" They both perked up simultaneously as sirens sounded in the distance.

"Just don't get in the way this time, okay?"

"Only if you stay out of mine," Ghost retorted, and flickered once, becoming invisible. Well, camouflaged. If Spider-Man tried hard enough he could still see her, but barely, especially once she started moving, leaping from one building to the next with her super agility.

Spidey still didn't know the full extent of Ghost's powers - after all, she'd only been around for about a month, and he'd spent the first week of that trying to ignore her. But her endearing personality and adamance that she was going to learn from the best by basically stalking him meant he'd stopped blowing her off and started... enjoying her company. To his own dismay.

Spidey arrived at the scene of the bank robbery, where three goons with leftover alien tech were running from the site. 

"Dibs on the one with the ugly jacket!" Ghost's disembodied voice yelled, a second before the criminal in question dropped under an invisible force. Spider-Man leapt down into the street, shooting webs at the remaining two whilst dodging rays from their weapons. Between the two of them, it didn't take long to get the situation under control and scram just as the police showed up. Ghost flickered into view as Spidey settled on a roof.

"Did you watch the news yesterday?" She asked. He tilted his head at her warily. "We're partners now. The news said it, so it must be true."

"I work alone," Spidey glared playfully. "Oh no, I sound like Batman."

"I work in red - and sometimes very, very bright blue," Ghost added in a gravelly whisper, laughing.

"Besides, I thought you were my self-proclaimed protégé."

"Well, I've graduated." She winked, sitting beside him on the building. Finally someone who shared his wit and sense of humour. He hoped he hadn't been a disappointment for her.

"If we're going to be partners, at least tell me a bit about you," Spidey said eventually.

She did a double-take at the word 'partners' but covered it quickly. "Only if you promise to answer the same questions."

"Deal. Favourite colour?"

"Cliché much? And blue."

"Same. Powers?"

"Invisibility, super agility and enhanced speed and strength. Plus I can sometimes tell when people are lying, which isn't very useful as a hero power but very interesting in normal life. You?" Spidey did not know that his new partner was a living lie detector. He'd better be extra careful not to give anything away.

"Sticky, sixth sense for danger, super strong, super senses, enhanced speed and agility. How about hobbies?"

"Mostly reading, listening to music."