After Far From Home

Even before the news bulletin finished playing, Peter was heading home, needing to just get away. Beck had ripped apart his already torn world. He had taken... everything.

Peter wanted his dad.

But he had been taken too.

"It seems to me," Pepper told him over the phone, "that you have two main problems."

Peter's phone had been exploding with notifications all day. Happy had found him almost immediately and taken him to a secure location, and told him not to answer any of them. Luckily, only a few select individuals had the number of his private StarkPhone, Pepper being one of them.

"The fact that everyone hates me being one of them?" Peter asked, barely able to form the words. His head was spinning - how had everything gone wrong so quickly?

"Everyone knows your identity, and now everyone thinks they know that you're evil. We need convince them otherwise on both accounts. Until we manage that, you need to lie low and we need to be very careful."

"Okay. But how do we do that?" The panic that had been Peter's companion since he rushed away from that exposed lamppost started to fade, the logical side of his brain taking charge.

Pepper sighed over the phone. "We'll have to call a press conference. But for now, I think you need to be Peter Parker. Go home. Happy will stay with you to keep you safe, but you'll have to pretend you don't know each other, to keep up the guise that I've just sent him to keep you safe until this misunderstanding blows over."

"How will you call the conference without seeming suspicious."

"No need," As if on cue, Pepper's phone pinged with a notification. "I've just been invited to one."

Peter had barely made it through his apartment door before reporters were bashing on it, shoving microphones into his face. His drama teacher had always told him he was a terrible actor, but he had to try.

"Mr Parker! Mr Parker, over here!"

"Peter, a word-"

"Is it true that you're really-"

"Mr Parker, are you Spiderman-"

"Why did you want to harm-"

"What were you doing in London-"

"Do you deny that-"

Peter shook his head, not having to fake the overwhelming tide of confusion and noise. 

"I-I'm sorry, this has to be a mistake, I don't know-"

He forced the door shut, and breathed a sigh of relief at the quiet. A moment later, a slip of paper was forced through the letterbox.

'Your presence is requested tonight at-"

Happy snatched it off him and read it. "That's it. The press conference."

Flash sat on his bed, staring blankly at the poster of Spider-man on his wall. 

Peter.

Spider-man.

It seemed impossible, but in a weird way... it made sense.

The way Peter had disappeared at Washington. The way Spiderman had been everywhere they had been on the Europe trip.

The missed lessons. The supposed Stark Internship. The unexplained disappearances. The way Ned had blurted that Peter knew Spiderman. The way he'd ditched Liz at homecoming the night Spiderman was part of his biggest fight yet. The way he'd apologised when her dad had gone to prison and she'd had to move away. The way Peter had seemed more upset at Tony Stark's death than he had any right to be. The absence in the weeks before and after the Snaps. The way Ned and MJ hadn't questioned Spiderman's presence in London, had seemed to know that Happy guy.