Lockdown

During the many months of online lessons, Peter had discovered that it was easy to multitask them. So he set Karen up to play the video in his mask and record it in case he had to copy down anything important later, and spent his days patrolling.

The teacher and class were often bemused by the interesting noises coming from Peter's end whenever he unmuted to answer a question. Often, there were car noises like he was outside, sometimes accompanied by whooshing air. Occasionally there was a serious of loud noises, sometimes grunts, Peter's answer, then an oomph and silence as Peter remuted his mic.

Peter was enjoying the sensation of swinging between buildings when the teacher's voice inside his mask said, "I'd like everyone to have their camera on this lesson."

He panicked as his classmates's faces began to appear, so he unmuted himself and said, "Sorry sir, my laptop camera is broken so I can't."

"Reconnect the call on your phone, then. I want to see everyone."

Doing a 180 in midair, Peter began speeding towards his apartment. When he got there, he realised that May must have gone out because the doors were locked and nobody was answering the bell.

"Parker, have you found your phone yet?"

"Um, yes sir, I just need a few minutes for it to charge."

Wincing, Peter turned back around and headed for the next suitable option - Stark Tower. He landed on the roof and put on one of those facemasks that you have to knot around the back of your head over his spandex one just to be extra safe, then took a deep breath and headed into the eerily deserted tower. The top floors were for Avengers only, and Peter could hear Tony in his lab, but Sam and Clint had gone to stay with their respective families, and Nat had gone with Clint. Bucky and Steve were currently in isolation elsewhere after coming back from Wakanda, and Wanda and Vision were off in Scotland or something. Only Tony, Pepper, Rhodes and Bruce were in at present.

Quietly, Peter snuck into his part-time room and changed into some clothes he'd left behind last time. Unfortunately, they were the ultra-expensive designer clothes Tony had insisted on getting for him, but Peter didn't have time to find something less conspicuous or even fix his hair where it would be all mussed up from his mask. He undid his facemask then yanked off his Spidey mask after telling Karen to end the call. He rejoined on his phone in the middle of the teacher shouting at him.

"-KER, if you do not turn on your camera right now, there will be serious consequences."

"He's probably too ashamed for us to see the hovel he lives in," Flash snickered. Peter turned on his camera. 

To his classmates, he looked like a different person, his hair untidy but not bad-looking, designer clothes thrown on casually and a smart, expensive-looking room in the background. Flash choked, then realised he was still on mic and quickly muted.

"Uh- Thank you, Mr Parker. As I was saying..."

Peter kicked his suit under the bed and walked over to his desk, getting out a notebook so he could pretend to jot notes. He could see everybody else in the class staring at their screens wide-eyed as he gave them the new angle on his fancy room. The teacher pretended to ignore this and kept teaching. But even he couldn't ignore it when Tony Stark walked into the room.

Peter heard his call go silent and slowly turned around to see Mr Stark stood in his doorway. 

"Um, hi Mr Stark."

"Hey Pete, FRIDAY said you'd dropped by so I thought I'd come make sure everything was okay." He pointed at the ceiling.

"Yeah, I just needed somewhere to do my online lessons for a bit," Peter hooked a thumb at his screen.

"Okay. Don't leave without dropping by the lab, okay? There's plenty of room to distance in there." Tony smiled, and Peter nodded. Then Tony left the room and Peter turned back to his confused classmates, who had seen the whole exchange but not heard a word.

"Peter, what?" Somebody asked.

"Go ahead and talk amongst yourselves for a few minutes," the teacher said defeatedly, and turned off his camera.

"Explain right now."

"It was probably just a simulation the nerd set up to make himself look cool," Flash scoffed, but nobody listened. Peter sighed, and unmuted in order to give his hastily compiled explanation.

"U-uhm, Stark Industries is doing a live-in internship program for anyone who desperately wanted to finish off a project before locking down at home, and I opted to stay for a few weeks. There aren't many of us so Mr Stark was just coming to ask whether one of the things left in the main lab belonged to me, but it didn't."

"So he's so poor he has to mooch off a billionaire now,"Flash tried to say, but was drowned out by the series of other questions that Peter tried to answer as nonspecifically as possible before the teacher came back and resumed the lesson like nothing had happened.