Soulmates (3)

Peter stilled over his breakfast as the romantic soulmate bond, which he'd been paying a fascinated attention to now that he'd realised it existed, went suddenly quiet. From the other room, he heard an intake of breath from his Aunt May. 

"What is it?" He asked, hurrying through, relaxing when he saw that she was only watching TV. 

"That looks painful," May commented, then gasped as the Spider-Man on screen was kicked into a wall. The news helicopter from last night must have managed to capture the fight. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine, May," he muttered automatically, tuning into his soulmate's emotions as they went quickly from realisation to surprise to shock to anger to regret to recognition to guilt to pride to peace to pain to annoyance, so fast that he could hardly tell them apart. There was a minute of quiet, then whoever his soulmate was poked the cheek they'd slapped last night. He automatically tried to swipe away the phantom finger, unused to the soulmate pain, but of course there was nothing there.

He wasn't sure whether it was good, bad, or complicated that his soulmate now knew that he was Spider-Man. They poked him again, and he flicked his temple back in annoyance, immediately regretting it. He'd put them through enough pain already. A moment later, a tide of exasperation rolled down the bond, and he could almost see them rolling their eyes. Well, at least they didn't hate him? They had every right to. He deserved their hatred.

A familiar tingle on his arm pulled him away from his thoughts and he looked down to see the last of Mr Stark's message appearing.

Hey kid, how's the search going?

Complicated,  he replied.  They know I'm Spidey.

Okay. Well, they were going to find out eventually. It makes your life easier anyway - go sit on a public building or something, and hopefully they'll come to you.

But what if they don't want to meet me? I've put them through a lot.

I'm going to pretend you didn't write that. Remember all the doubts you had about me?

Yeah...

The universe paired you with this person for a reason. Go get them.

Yes, sir.

Peter sketched a saluting soldier, then washed off his arm. "May, I'm going to head out for a bit."

"I thought you were meant to be resting!"

"I'm mostly fine, just a bit tender. I'll stay out of trouble!"

"Why do I have a hard time believing that?" May sighed. "Be back before lunch."

"Will do!" 

Peter swung his legs over the edge of the apartment building he'd chosen, feeling stressed. The first time he'd met Mr Stark had been very sudden, so he had no idea how to introduce himself to a random stranger he was destined to spend his life with.

If I do meet them, what do I even say?!?!? He wrote to his platonic soulmate.

Just relax and be yourself, be honest and they'll love you. But you're going to have to do this yourself, I'm in a meeting and I have more important things to do than manage a teen's love life.

MJ sighed as she felt that self-hatred return in waves. Did simply flicking her really make the city's hero feel so bad about himself? It was so hard to communicate through emotions, and she had to get to him before things got out of hand, so she resolved to find him today. Sure, having a superhero soulmate might get a bit complicated, but they'd figure it out. Maybe. If he wanted to.