Frozen Beauty

The flakes fell gently unto the Earth, covering the soil in a soft blanket. A girl, relatively small in stature, wandered through the pale forest. The birch wood trees matched the surrounding snow. She ran her fingers along the bark of the tree, reveling in the roughness of it. Winter had befallen the wooded area swiftly, leaving nothing alive, and yet... She swore that it was one of the most beautiful things she had ever bared witness to. 

She released a breath, watching as it clouded in front of her and danced upwards before fading. She tugged her pale cloak closer, the heavy cloth providing the warmth she needed for this momentary escape from home. 

Home, she thought. Her kind, chocolate brown eyes were plagued with an eternal sadness. After the war had struck, those men in dark suits had come knocking at her door. A few words and the ground had been pulled from beneath her feet. That was a month ago. She has lived in silence since then.

The pain that had followed her on her daily escapades was temporarily frozen by the chill air. She immersed herself in the beauty that surrounded her, but a thought had slipped through.

Hearts must be as delicate as thinned ice, for mine has surely received many cracks.