Chapter 40 ~ The Encumbered Phone Call

3rd Person's POV ~ (At the track field) 

3 familiar figures sit with a heavy thump on the bench, sweat dripping down each of their backs and making their shirts stick to their skin, exasperated sighs escaping their lips slightly before the remainder of students thump down on the only other place there was to sit ; on the ground.

"Get up !" The coach barks not more than 10 minutes later. Their breathing had gotten a tad easier though groans still resound loud and clear over the field. They heave themselves off the benches that they'd only gotten to enjoy the support of for a couple minutes, jogging again. 

"How'd your date go ?" Jungkook asks, his feet bounding in sync with Jisoo's and Lisa's. 

"It was fine." She says stiffly yet nervously at the same time. He notices she keeps stealing glances by her side, her slightly taller frame sandwiched between him and Jisoo. 

"Elaborate." The shortest of the three grins. 

"You-" 

"Why ? Did something happen ?" He asks. 

"He asked me to be his girlfriend." She scowls, quickly covering it with a forced smile. 

"And what did you say ?"

"I said yes." She says. The lies were clawing her inside out as her stomach burns with more than just exhaustion. 

They screech to a stop, the dust by their feet puffing into a cloud against their dirtied shoes. He grabs a triplet of towels, distributing one amongst each of them and slathering the perspiration that stuck like sticky syrup against his face. 

A distinct, irritated figure saunters over, shoving Lisa over and wedging herself next to Jungkook who couldn't be bother with such trivial matters. Another stampede of runners had stormed past precisely when Lisa had thumped against the ground, sending a wave of dust into her lungs. The particles prick at her lungs, burning her throat and infecting her nose. 

"You okay ?" Jungkook asks, trying helping her up. His chest pressed against Tzuyu's arm as his head went behind hers, watching out for the fallen girl. She doesn't take his hand, blindly groping around for a ledge. 

"I'm fine. I think th-the dust-dust got in my mo-outh." She coughs between her words. She sputters regularly, and he lifts himself off the bench, kneeling by her on the ground. 

She continues to rub violently against her eyes, coughing with a hand against her chest while Tzuyu had chosen to push herself against Jungkook who couldn't care less. 

She wraps herself around him closer than he would ever allow. She gazed through her overly made-up eyes with her cloying vapidity, simpering softly until he speaks up.

"Do you need water ?" He asks, brushing a hand through Lisa's hair and getting dust out of the dark strands. 

Tzuyu giggles like she's three and a half, a false smile plastered on for anyone wondering what in the hell was happening. "Can you stop ?" He snaps. "Not everything is about you. Most things aren't."

"Oh, you're so funny." She continues to laugh, slapping his shoulder. He grits his teeth, his eyelids fluttering close in anger. They open in realization again, grabbing his water bottle off the side of the bench and twisting open the lid.

"Here." He insists, nudging her to take a drink. She helps herself up shakily, lending him a hand while he takes it, tossing the bottle to the side and ignoring the miniature river flowing out the mouth of it. 

"I've to go." She coughs, letting Jisoo tug her along. "I ca-can't breathe." She stammers, her back shaking. 

"Can you just let go of me ?!" He says loudly, scratching Tzuyu's long nails off his forearm and disregarding the long red trails of popped, rising skin as he jogs after the two in front of him. 

Jisoo guides her into the girls' locker room, her hands fiddling with the metal dial on the grated door, twisting it every which way before thrusting it open. Her fingers scrounge around, snatching an inhaler off the surface and bringing it to Lisa's mouth. "You'll be okay." She soothes, her warm hands running over her friends back. 

"I- I think I'm fine." She says, her voice scratchy from the dust in her throat. She snatches a half consumed water bottle, downing the rest of it and clearing her throat, screwing on the the cap and tossing it carelessly into a bin. "Let's go." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jungkook's POV ~ 

I lean against the strong barrier of the girl's locker room, my feet diverting me to the blue room opposite to it. I swing open the door to the boy's room, trudging over to my assigned spot and shoving on my street clothes. 

"Yeah, it was pretty easy." A scoff echoes. 

I freeze, pulling the rest of my shirt down and slowly closing the rickety locker door. I was supposed to be the only one in here. 

"Didn't have faith in me ? Tell him I'm disappointed. I did this all to prove him wrong anyway." Jinyoung sneers. 

I tug the neckline of my shirt down, sneaking after the ignorant boy on the phone. I trail after him, taking soft, silent steps out the locker room and following him as his words seem to catch my attention. 

"Lisa ? She's alright. Pretty, nice, sporty, feisty." He concludes. "I wouldn't rate her more than a 9.  Maybe a 9.5, give or take." Jinyoung smiles, his feet kicking against the dry pavement. 

"Yeah, I know." He laughs softly, still not spotting my lurking form nearby. "I didn't think I'd rate her high either. She's got the highest score from me so far. Before her, I was famous for giving out 5's." 

A long pause reeks strongly through the air, the hair on my neck standing up though the weather proved to be oddly warm for a winter afternoon. 

"In your books she'll be a 1000 out of 5."

I could feel my anger rise, surging through my veins and powering my arm to clump into a strong fist. 

"I'll probably just dump her in a couple." He scoffs, hanging up and pocketing his phone. I step out from behind the wall, hands ready to ravel in his collar and throw him against a wall. 

He's as good as dead.