XCII

Though there was a bit of an annoyance earlier, Kouen made his way to the Lily Palace, its grand building shining brilliantly underneath the spring sun and truly, only she was worthy of such a Palace. Even the Phoenix Palace couldn't compare to its grandeur. With a high ceiling and two floors, a balcony overlooking the entire Imperial Palace, it stood proudly with its state of the art craft and the highest-quality materials. Gulping, Kouen made his way to the entrance but was only awaited by a shut gate.

She really didn't wish to see him.

"Lucy," he called out to her, his voice filled with regret and guilt. "I'm sorry."

Silence ensued.

"I shouldn't have lashed out like that at your retainer. I should've kept my emotions in check and admitted to her words rather than arguing against it when I knew it to be true," he said, his crimson eyes flickering softly with shame. "I said I would give you happiness and become a man who can protect you and yet, I couldn't. But," he raised his head, his eyes burning with resolve, "I promise you. I'll definitely protect you. I won't be so immature and accept the evident truth and work to fix it."

He furrowed his brows and said, his lips quivering as tears welled up at the corner of his eyes.

"So open the door, Lucy," he begged.

Lucy sat in the Lily Palace, her white imperial robe trailing down next to her as she embroidered on the cloth situated in the embroidery hoop. Her hands stopped and her eyes wavered but she shut her eyes close and continued to embroider.

"Lucy," he called her name from outside the gate.

"Lucy-sama," Tomoyo glanced at her.

"Ignore him," she said. "He grew up in glory and was praised for his talents. No one questioned his rise to the throne and including me, no one dared to not follow such a respectable Emperor. But," her lashes fluttered as her eyes shone softly, "there are some things that he still needs to learn. If I forgive him so easily, how will he grow?"

"So Lucy-sama isn't angry at him anymore?"

She laughed. "I am," she answered, the anger still there in her eyes. "How could I forgive him so easily when he touched one of my retainers? He knew not to touch you and yet, he still raised his sword at you. He can act that way to anyone else but my people."

"He really is an idiot," Kuugen remarked, laying his head down on his white, fluffy sleeping cushion. "But, he's as much of an idiot as you. Even now, you're thinking of him and desiring the best for him."

Lucy continued to embroider and Tomoyo looked at the pattern she was embroidering and it was none other than the Yellow Dragon, the symbol of the Emperor. She pulled her lips into a tight line and averted her eyes in disdain, wondering just what part of Kouen made her so fond of him that she still thought of him despite having angered her so. She will admit it. He was handsome and compared to other sovereigns, he was one of the few men who stood at the top. With a muscular body and a sharp gaze, he was a man who captured the hearts of many. But, it was his charisma and talent as a ruler that made them fear him and follow him. He was the embodiment of all aspects that made up a good ruler and there were few who could compare to him. Not even Takeruhiko, the one person Tomoyo had looked up to before meeting Lucy, could not compare to him. But, whenever it concerned Lucy, that cool and collected image of him broke down and he turned into nothing more than a beast who lacked all logic and reasoning. Which was why Lucy was doing this. To make him realize his weaknesses and to groom him into a more respectable and supreme Emperor. Knowing this, Tomoyo gritted her teeth and balled her hands into fists.

"Lucy-sama," Tomoyo turned to her, her eyes blank and dark. "I'll go send him away."

Lucy continued to focus on the embroidery and Tomoyo bowed, excusing herself as she walked out of the Palace and down the path to the gate. Opening the gate, Kouen lifted his head in hope but upon seeing who it was, he quickly narrowed his eyes and scowled in distaste. But, he couldn't say anything nor do anything to her.