CXCIII

In an instant, three months had flown by and spring was nearing its end. The cool breeze that had washed over Sindria gave bloom to the budding saplings of winter and it was during the summer months that these blossoms bloomed gloriously in all its majesty. But, what should've been a month of joy was filled with nothing but bitterness on this specific summer day. No flowers decorated the capital city nor did the citizens plan anything special. Instead, they simply went about their day with cold eyes as they murmured amongst each other about the detestable Kou Empire and the shameless attitude of its Imperial Princess who dared to intrude in the Royal Harem.

Lucy stood on the balcony of her room, gazing down at the blooming flowers with a downcast gaze, her long, silky golden hair tied into two low pigtails flowing behind her with the veil which draped from the golden band. Her white, shoulderless dress trailed along on the floor behind her with the royal purple sash lined with gold that was draped around her shoulders hanging down in two bands in front of her. The amethyst jewels glowed an eerie hue despite the cloudy skies as they tinkled ever-so-softly in the cold wind.

"Yggdrasil is upset," Kuugen remarked, sniffing the air that was not at all reminiscent of summer.

Wu Kong scoffed. "Who wouldn't be given what day it is?" he said, leaning against the wall of the room with his arms crossed and a knee propped up against the wall. "It would be weird if it wasn't. Especially when you look at the faces of the citizens."

Kuugen turned towards Lucy, his sapphire eyes glowing softly in sorrow as he watched Lucy's back. How small and frail she seemed as if she was ready to break any second from the weight of the feelings and responsibilities she held. Even if she disliked this, she couldn't say anything for she herself was the one who made the decision. In the end, the one who was at fault was the Kou Empire. Both Wu Kong and Kuugen realized this and the hatred and disdain they felt towards the Imperial Family was second to none. If possible, they would lay waste to the Empire this very instant but, it was something that Lucy wouldn't want.

Holding a lily in her hand, she gazed down at it. "If it's a marriage, especially a political one, they would have to consummate it."

"Lucy..." Kuugen gazed up at her, his eyes filled with pain.

The previous night, she and Sinbad had talked about it. Kougyoku was a bride sent by the Kou Empire as proof of their alliance — however tense it may be — and it was only right for both sides to fulfill their duty. Marriage in the Kou Empire needed to be consummated and, the same went for the Kingdom of Sindria. He was reluctant but, it was his duty as King. He needed only to consummate the marriage once both to show he was upholding his side and accepted the alliance and also to give face to the Imperial Princess who had thrown away all her previous titles and entered as a Royal Concubine.

She still remembered when Sinbad asked if she was okay with this and, she could only remember herself crying in his arms. There was no way she was fine with it. How could she be? She had to watch the man she loved consummate a marriage that the two of them had no say in and be fine with all of it. There was no way she could be fine. It was an emotion that Sinbad understood all too well. He held her in his arms the entire night, enveloping her in his warmth as he whispered the same words over and over to her again.

"My body may be given and shared but, my heart and affection will forever solely be yours."

Holding the lily to her lips, she closed her eyes. "Sinbad..."

Unbeknownst to her, Wu Kong and Kuugen had quietly left the room upon glancing up and seeing who it was. His royal purple cape lined with white fur billowed behind him as he wore his black, kingly uniform with a sash draped across the front and numerous medals hanging from the front of his suit jacket. Walking towards Lucy, the heels of his shoes tapping softly against the carpeted floor, he stood behind Lucy. But, before he could reach out to her, she quickly turned around and held a blade to his throat.