CXCVIII

Tsubasa Kaede was a being born from the power of the first Head of the Heartfilia Household, Anna Heartfilia. Though he may not share the power passed through its bloodline from the Heavens, he still held a fraction of it. In combination with the several thousands of years he had lived and his supreme intelligence and knowledge, deducing what would happen in the near future was a simple feat for him. Hence, he more or less knew the events that would soon transpire in the room following the birth of the two fetuses residing in Lucy's womb. There was the possibility that both were Sinbad's but, fate was cruel.

Glancing at the retainers, his expression darkened as he lowered his gaze. He would care less what would happen to them but, they were Lucy's retainers and after spending several years with them, he had more or less grown fond of them. They didn't need to share the responsibility of knowing. It was fine if only he knew. He would shoulder all of it.

"Wu Kong, Tomoyo, Kuugen, Masrur," he called out to them.

They perked up.

"Yes, Kaede-sama?" Tomoyo tilted her head. "Is something the matter?"

"Return back to your duties."

They widened their eyes.

"You want us to return back to our duties?" Wu Kong stared at him with wide, flaming scarlet crimson eyes. "When Lucy is in such a state? Kaede, what are you thinking?"

Kaede simply returned their gaze and knew that a mere order would not convince them to leave. Sighing, he met their gaze in frustration. "You all may have become used to it but," Kaede glanced out the window where not even the guards or maids were willing to approach, "the air has become dense and suffocating due to the unstable magoi that's been leaking out of you all."

They widened their eyes and immediately drew it all in.

"Lucy is the one weakness we have. Our emotions become unstable when situations happen that concern her. Hence, the lack of control we have over our own power," Kaede explained. "You all possess an enormous amount of magoi and still lack the ability to control it."

"That's..." Tomoyo averted her gaze.

"It's better if you all return back to your duties and refrain from stepping in the Soleil Palace until I give the order."

"But-!"

"If something were to happen to the midwife, then it would only negatively affect Lucy. No matter how knowledgeable I am, experience is best needed in these fields."

They remained silent as they pondered in thought. They may be excessively overprotective and affectionate over Lucy but, they were still rational thinkers. Knowing when to persist and when to give in, they complied with Kaede's orders.

"Then when Lucy is fine, immediately call us."

Kaede nodded his head. "For now, continue keeping an eye on the Dahlia Hall and all happenings in and out of the Royal Palace. Especially the Kou Empire."

"Yes," they lowered their heads and disappeared.

Masrur, too, disappeared but Kaede knew that he would be called back. But, rather than letting him be the only one to stay, it was best for him to leave with everyone else so that nothing seemed abnormal.

Since, Kaede's expression darkened as he gazed to the side, his lips forming into a tight line over the injustice of it all, he'll be the one to face the most grief and pain alongside Lucy.

The skies had grown considerably darker and rain had slowly begun pouring. The raindrops pattered against the glass-pane windows and Kaede gazed out at the sky above with a distant, solemn gaze, the halls dimly lit with only the light from the outside shining in. Thunder boomed, resounding loudly as it shook the entire Royal Palace. Placing his gloved hand on the window, he balled his hand tightly into a fist.