CXCVII

The Kou Empire had departed and Kougyoku, who was left forgotten in the Dahlia Hall, arrived at the front gates of the Soleil Palace, the residence of the King and Queen. Even under the gloomy clouds, Kougyoku couldn't help but widen her eyes and marvel at the grand and glorious Palace. It was a towering, looming white structure built from only the most expensive and precious material that made the Dahlia Hall seem like nothing more than a small, abandoned hut.

"I can see why it's proclaimed as the King of Sindria's love for his Queen," she whispered.

Everything in the Royal Palace that was not used for official, administrative, and military work all belonged to Lucy. They were renovated and prepared as gifts from Sinbad to Lucy after knowing what she liked and disliked and hoping that they would take her mind away from the despair and loneliness that she continued to suffer from even after being taken away from the Cold Palace. Aware of the reason behind the renovations and even moving his own residence to the Queen's and making the Soleil Palace the residence of both the King and Queen, it was not long before people nicknamed the buildings to be the symbol of the King's affection for his beloved Queen.

"Isn't this too much?" Kiyo, Kougyoku's Lady-in-Waiting asked in frustration. "Not even a carriage was prepared for Your Highness, forcing you to walk here on foot."

"The Dahlia Hall is not far from here."

"Your Highness walked for half an hour!"

Kougyoku remained indifferent.

"I'm sure it's that vixen Queen's scheme," Kiyo murmured under her breath, glaring at the Palace before her. "She purposely made it so that you would have to walk here on foot. What gracious and gentle Queen?" Kiyo scoffed. "She's nothing more than a bi-!"

A slap resounded in the quiet, serene air as Kiyo was immediately thrown to the floor from the impact.

"Who d-!"

But, she immediately shut her mouth as she saw the pair of looming, large crimson pink eyes that glowed amongst her dark expression. With fair lips pulled into a tight line and eyes that were cold and sinister, Tomoyo stood there, looking down upon Kiyo as her silky light, pink hair blew in the chilling summer breeze. Realizing who it was and recognizing her as Lucy's Lady-in-Waiting and retainer that she often saw in the Imperial Palace, Kougyoku's heart stopped as a chill ran down her spine.

"T-Tomoyo-sama..."

Without blinking, Tomoyo's orbs fixated on her.

"Is this rude sow your Lady-in-Waiting?" she asked, the anger in her eyes clear as the domineering pressure of her magoi suffocated the air around her, the rukh gathering around.

"T-That's..."

"Can you do nothing more than stutter?" Tomoyo turned to face her.

Kougyoku's face paled. "Y-Yes!"

Tomoyo looked down at her. "Like master like servant."

Her face flushed red in embarrassment.

Pointing the tip of her umbrella at Kiyo, Kiyo's breath hitched as beads of sweat rolled down her face, the face and fear of death looming over her.

"You dared to disrespect Her Royal Majesty the Queen and even go so far as to curse her," Tomoyo said and gripped the hilt of her umbrella, the jewel tassel which hung from the hilt glowing with the eight-pointed star. "To defile a member of the Royal Family is already worthy enough of death. But, you defiled a member of not just the Royal Family but the Queen herself. Death is simply too light."