LXXXI

"Hey, Kouen."

"Hm?"

Turning her head, her silky blonde hair flowed like shimmering golden fairy dust and her eyes glowing softly like warm honey. She looked up at him as she held a lily in her hand, the spring breeze swaying her hair and robes with the accessories hanging from her headdress and hairpins tinkling against each other. Kouen stared at her in a mesmerized daze, his maroon eyes flickering softly as they reflected her and only her.

"Aren't the lilies blooming beautifully today, too?" she smiled as she twirled around, the lilies rustling as the spring breeze blew past.

Peach blossoms gently cascaded down as he watched her dance, her imperial robes flowing around her like the petals of a lily and he watched, captivated. The servants watched on in a daze, entranced by her beauty and there was not a person present who didn't understand the Emperor's affections. Not only possessing an outward beauty that rivaled even the moon and sun, but she also held an inner beauty unrivaled by anyone else. She treated all the Palace servants and guards equally with kindness and always made sure to interact with them and award them with fair holidays and leaves based on how hard they worked. What used to be the worst place to work in had become the most desirable workplace in the Kou Empire. Even though the standards may have been risen due to her presence and they required more skillful workers so as to not displease her which in turn would greatly displease the Emperor, there were still many people who were eager to serve inside the Forbidden City all for the sake of catching even a glimpse of her: the person who had blessed and saved them numerous times.

"Yeah," he said, his maroon eyes glowing softly. "It's truly a beautiful sight."

Lucy tilted her head to the side and smiled. "Right? Aren't the lilies glowing even more than usual today? It's a good thing I changed the fertilizer for them."

Imperial Noble Consort, they smiled, a bead of sweat rolling down their faces. They looked towards Kouen who stared at her with a cute, chubby affectionate expression and rosy cheeks and they smiled happily to themselves. But I suppose that's what the Emperor likes about the Imperial Noble Consort.

"You really like lilies, huh?" he bent down, picking one and placing it into her hair.

Lucy glanced at it and smiled happily to which he returned the smile with affection.

"I like all kinds of flowers," she said. "It's just lilies are my favorite."

"Why is that?"

"Because," she held it close to her face as she whiffed in its fragrant scent, "it symbolizes the continuation of life. Even if this life, this world, and everything else ends, life will continue to exist in the next life and next world."

Kouen stared at her and looked down. He could clearly tell what she was thinking of just like how she could tell what he was thinking of. The white lily flower was synonymous with the rukh which represented the existence of life itself. One represented the existence of life while the other represented its continuous cycle. Together, they represented infinite possibilities. For even if one were to die in this world, there was a possibility that their life would continue in another life, in another world. That's why she blessed the afterlife in hopes that Jude and Layla along with Koutoku would be able to obtain happiness in their next life.

A lily appeared in his face and he blinked his eyes. Lucy smiled as she looked up at him.

"Hey, Kouen," she said, her honey-brown eyes gazing into his maroon eyes as if peering deep into the abyss of his soul. "Do you believe in rebirth?"